- "Bottom line on Browns running back situation is this: They need Trent Richardson for the opener" (ESPN Cleveland) - "A one, and a two: Our obsession with Browns backups today extends to the running back position. Is Trent Richardson’s top backup Montario Hardesty or is it Brandon Jackson?"
- "Browns defensive line in makeshift mode" (FS Ohio) - "With the injuries piling up on the defensive line, it is a mere lock that either rookie John Hughes or Billy Winn will line up with Ahtyba Rubin at tackle on Sept. 9 against the Eagles."
- "David Sims building a case to stick with Browns" (Canton Rep) - "The Browns’ biggest wave of cuts is coming by Friday, when NFL rosters must be hacked from 75 to 53. It appears David Sims, a longshot when camp began, will make the team."
- "Shurmur: RB Montario Hardesty hasn’t been demoted" (Chronicle-Telegram) - "Coach Pat Shurmur said this morning running back Montario Hardesty has not been demoted and remains the starter with rookie Trent Richardson sidelined following knee surgery."
- "By naming Russell Wilson the Seahawks' starting QB, Pete Carroll shows competition matters most" (Yahoo! Sports) - "Pete Carroll dubbed them "Competition Tuesdays" and it went to the heart of everything he accomplished in nine seasons as coach at the University of Southern California."
- "More good news for Pats, Packers" (ESPN) - "What's amazing about having five rookie starting quarterbacks is the impact on the schedule."
- "Eric Decker moves toward a breakout year" (PFT) - "With quarterback Peyton Manning throwing the passes and cornerback Champ Bailey providing the in-practice coverage, third-year receiver Eric Decker is poised to have a breakout season."
- "Future is now in Seattle, but Dolphins are playing for next year" (SI.com) - "On the close-knit Tampa Bay Buccaneer teams of the late '90s, close friends Dave Moore, a tight end from New Jersey, and Mike Alstott, a fullback raised in Illinois, roomed together during road games."