According to NFL reporters Aaron Wilson of the Baltimore Sun and Adam Caplan of Sirius XM, the Cleveland Browns are waiving OLB Justin Cole and ILB Justin Staples.
The Browns will waive LB Justin Cole, a league source said.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) August 31, 2013
Browns cutting linebacker Justin Staples, according to a league source— Aaron Wilson (@RavensInsider) August 31, 2013
It's a bit surprising to see Cole let go, as we projected him to make the 53-man roster. Cole was added by the Browns around the start of training camp and seemed to deliver solid performances in all four preseason games. He finished the preseason with 6 tackles, a team-leading 4 quarterback hits, 1 interception, and 3 passes defended. He also had 1 tackle on special teams. The Browns did claim two young outside linebackers on waivers last week -- Eric Martin and Paul Hazel -- so we'll see if either of them end up making the roster instead.
Staples, a St. Edwards alumni, had a monster opening preseason game against the St. Louis Rams, but was relatively quiet in terms of production and playing time after that. Because of that first game, though, it would seem as though he has a chance to land on the practice squad. If no other team signs Cole, he could end up there too.
More from Dawgs By Nature:
- NFL Roster Cuts 2013: Cleveland Browns Getting Down to 53 players by Saturday at 6 PM
- Browns Reportedly Cut WR David Nelson
- Browns Cutting OLB Justin Cole & ILB Justin Staples
- NFL Roster Cuts Open Thread (for Browns fans)
- Cleveland Browns 53-Man Roster Projection, Final Version: Who Survives the Cuts?
- Browns Roster Cuts: No Surprises as Cleveland Gets Down to 68 Players