We take a look at which members of the Cleveland Browns should you start or sit heading into your Week 7 fantasy football match-ups as the Browns take on the Jacksonville Jaguars.
(Key: Start / Sit / Enticing)
- QB Brian Hoyer - So far, I've been pretty good at gauging when Hoyer is an "enticing start" vs. a "sit." I said he was an enticing start against the Titans two weeks ago, a game in which he threw for three touchdown passes and had 22.84 fantasy points. I said you should sit him against Pittsburgh, and he only had 12.68 fantasy points. This week, the matchups are in his favor.
The Jaguars have given up the sixth most points to quarterbacks in fantasy football this year. Over the past two weeks, they've only given up an average of 11.07 fantasy points, showing some potential improvement. However, they aren't exactly shutting down opposing quarterbacks. I expect Hoyer to be around 250 yards passing with 2-3 touchdowns this week. Again, it's not the greatest numbers for fantasy purposes, but it's something if your quarterback is on the bye.
- RB Ben Tate - The Jaguars give up the fourth most fantasy points to running backs, and last week proved that Tate will be used as a workhorse due to Cleveland's commitment to the running game. The good news for fantasy owners is that he's getting red zone carries, which included two touchdowns a week ago. Tate is a must-start every week.
- RB Terrance West & RB Isaiah Crowell - If we knew West would be inactive, then Crowell would be a good start if your team is thin at running back. Pettine has already said West will play, though, which reduces each backup running backs' fantasy value.
- WR Andrew Hawkins, Miles Austin, Travis Benjamin, Taylor Gabriel - One of these four receivers is bound to have a big day, but the question is, "which one?" Hawkins' catches and targets have declined over the past two games considerably. Until Josh Gordon comes back, Cleveland receivers are a sit due to the even/unpredictable distribution at the position.
- TE Jordan Cameron - Cameron was a big-play machine last week, going for over 100 yards and a touchdown. The Jaguars' linebackers struggle in coverage, and the defense has given up five touchdowns to tight ends this season.
- K Billy Cundiff - According to Yahoo, "Jacksonville gives up the most fantasy points to the K position." If your kicker is on the bye or you need a replacement kicker, Cundiff is not a bad choice if you are playing the odds.
- DEF/ST Cleveland - This is a bit of a gamble given Cleveland's road woes, but I'm labeling the Browns' defense as a "start" for the first time this season. Jacksonville is giving up a sack once every 12 pass attempts, the worst mark in the NFL. The Jaguars also turn the ball over often, don't score very much, and have had three touchdowns returned against them.
Editor's Note: FanDuel is hosting a $250,000 one-week fantasy football league this weekend. It's $5 to join and the top 9,680 teams win money. League starts Sunday 1 PM ET and ends on Monday night. Here's the link.