The results are in from the Cleveland Browns' rookie minicamp, and the team added seven new players to their roster. In the process, they also parted ways with eight players. Our summary of the team's 15 transactions, which include the departure of WR Josh Cooper and the addition of WR Anthony Armstrong, is below.
8 Players Waived by the Browns
- RB Jamaine Cook - A local kid from Middleburg Heights, OH who was briefly with the team in 2013. With the team bringing in new blood at the running back position this year, he didn't seem to stand a chance.
- FB Chris Pressley - The veteran fullback must not have been impressive enough, so what are the team's plans at fullback now? It could be that they like what undrafted free agent Ray Agnew brings to the table. This also provides some light for FB Chris Ogbonnaya, one would think.
- WR Josh Cooper - Cooper was always viewed as "Brandon Weeden's receiver." We'll see if he catches on in Dallas. He had a support group of fans who wanted to see him get more action on gameday, but nothing significant ever materialized.
- WR Tori Gurley - This guy has been on-and-off rosters probably more than any other player in the NFL. He'll probably find another spot in a camp due to his size, but Cleveland opted to go with players who had more experience.
- TE Andre Smith - The Browns acquired a bunch of random tight ends last season, and Smith was one of them.
- OL Anthony Dima - An undrafted free agent who had just been signed after the draft. Anthony Lima of 92.3 the Fan won the battle -- he won't have to contend with this lineman's name any longer.
- OL Michael Philipp - An undrafted free agent who had just been signed after the draft. His name kind of looked like Michael Phelps, right? Plus, it would've been hard remembering whether his last name had two "l's" or two "p's."
- DL Elhadji Ndiaye - Forgot about spelling this name. He was an undrafted free agent who had just been signed before rookie minicamp. I guess he didn't do enough to impress.
7 Players Signed by the Browns
- RB/FB Jourdan Brooks - 6-0, 237 lbs. - This is a pretty big running back in terms of size. Brooks was an undrafted free agent back in 2012, when he spent 10 weeks on the Cincinnati Bengals' practice squad. It'll be interesting to see if there are any intentions to try Brooks out at the fullback position.
- WR Anthony Armstrong - 5-10, 185 lbs. - This is the veteran receiver of the group. He was an undrafted free agent way back in 2008, where he caught on with the Washington Redskins. He had one big season in 2010, where he played in 15 games (13 starts) and notched 44 catches for 871 yards and 3 touchdowns. That was with Kyle Shanahan. He pretty much never received any playing time after that, though.
- WR Taylor Gabriel - 5-8, 167 lbs. - This guy is tiny and an undrafted free agent from this year's class. We'll see if he offers any form of competition to WR Andrew Hawkins. Hailing from Abilene Christian, Gabriel had 215 catches for 3,027 yards and 27 touchdowns during his college career.
- TE James Oboh - 6-4, 250 lbs. - An undrafted free agent out of Towson who caught 50 passes for 811 yards and 10 touchdowns in 38 career games.
- OL Randall Harris - 6-3, 296 lbs. - Another undrafted free agent out of Towson, Harris started at both guard and tackle and helped pave the way for Browns third-round pick Terrance West on the ground.
- DL Jacobbi McDaniel - 6-0, 293 lbs. - An undrafted free agent out of Florida State, he played in 14 games last season. Fun fact: he was drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers back in 2009.
- DB Robert Nelson - 5-9, 175 lbs. - An undrafted free agent out of Arizona State, he notched 6 interceptions this past season.