The first round of the 2014 NFL Draft kicks off tonight, as we'll finally get to see if new Cleveland Browns general manager Ray Farmer can take advantage of all of the draft picks that have been provided to him. If you were not sure when the draft was officially starting, here is a primer with what to expect:
The NFL Draft will be covered by the NFL Network, ESPN, SiriusXM Radio, 92.3 The Fan, and many other outlets during the three days.
- THURSDAY, MAY 8 at 8:00 PM ET: Round 1
(Browns have 2 picks -- No. 4 overall and No. 26 overall)
- FRIDAY, MAY 9 at 7:00 PM ET: Rounds 2-3
(Browns have 3 picks -- No. 35, No. 71, and No. 83 overall)
- SATURDAY, MAY 10 at 12:00 PM ET: Rounds 4-7
(Browns have 5 picks -- No. 106, No. 127, No. 145, No. 180, and No. 218 overall)
I advise you tune into your TV, radio, or computer before the times listed above to ensure you don't miss anything. Below, I list the time teams have to pick per round, what time the open threads will be up-and-running on DBN, and a summary of our coverage of the draft to date.
Teams will have the following amount of time to make their picks:
- Round 1 Picks: 10 minutes
- Round 2 Picks: 7 minutes
- Round 3-7 Picks: 5 minutes
The NFL Draft is always a big day traffic-wise here at SB Nation. During each of the three days, we'll have at least one Open Thread on Dawgs By Nature, as well as posts covering each of the draft picks the Browns make.
The live blog / open draft threads will be posted at the following times:
- Thursday: Open thread posted at 10:00 AM (8 hours before draft)
Thursday: Open thread posted at 7:00 PM (1 hour before the draft)
- Friday: Open thread posted at 12:00 PM (7 hours before draft)
Friday: Open thread posted at 6:00 PM (1 hour before draft)
- Saturday: Open thread posted at 9:00 AM (3 hours before draft)
Lastly, there has been a lot of work put forth by the writers here at DBN over the past couple of weeks/months, with still more to come. Here is a look back at some of the material to help prepare you for the draft:
- DBN Big Boards: Cleveland Browns Big Board, 1-40 (Staff & Community)
- Browns Draft Tracking: A list of everyone who visited or met with the Browns
- 2014 Mock Drafts: DBN Staff Mock Draft | Community Mock Draft | Browns' Mock Draft Database
- Player Profiles: QB Johnny Manziel | QB Teddy Bridgewater | QB Derek Carr | QB Aaron Murray | QB Zach Mettenberger | QB Tajh Boyd | TE Crockett Gilmore | CB Walt Aikens
- Listen to DBN Radio: Mike Krupka, Josh Finney, and Jon Stinchcomb all participated in a 1.5 hour show that mocked all of the Browns' picks. Listen for plenty of draft talk.
- Special Features:
Draft Wisely: Figuring out which draft spot gives the most bang for the buck (by notthatnoise)
Devil's Advocate: Why the Browns need Johnny Manziel (by Matt Wood)
Two for one Carr deal? (by mooncamping)
Pokorny's Preview of the Browns' 2014 NFL Draft (by Chris Pokorny)
Glazer: Browns won't draft Johnny Manziel at No. 4
Manziel: "I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound"