Cleveland Browns training camp opens to the public this Saturday, but the team announced several roster moves and a handful of injury-related news as rookies reported to Berea today. Here is a summary of the moves that were made:
Players Added to the Roster
- C/G Nick McDonald - 6-4, 306 lbs. - The Browns claimed him off waivers on Tuesday from the San Diego Chargers. He entered the league in 2010 as an undrafted free agent with the Packers, but was released at the end of training camp. He was a backup for the Patriots from 2011-2012 and actually ended up making 3 starts -- 2 at center, and 1 at right guard. He was waived before the start of training camp last year. McDonald is recovering from a broken wrist, so we'll see if he's ready to go at the start of camp for Cleveland.
- OT Abasi Salimu - 6-5, 310 lbs. - He was an undrafted free agent this year who signed with the St. Louis Rams. The Rams just waived him, and Cleveland claimed him off waivers on Wednesday. Formerly a defensive end, after transferring from San Jose State, Salimu started 22 of his 23 games at Nicholls State as an offensive tackle.
The two moves described above could just be temporary for the purposes of having third-stringers on the depth chart. As you'll see below, OT Chris Faulk and C/G Jeremiah Warren are starting off camp on the non-football injury list. Is it a coincidence that their positions coincide with the players who were added? Once they are healthy, we might see McDonald and/or Salimu on the way out again.
Players Removed from the Roster
- WR Conner Vernon - Should I tout the fact that I had his roster odds at <1% in my training camp preview?
- LB Brandon Magee - LB is one of the weaker depth areas on the Browns. Magee was the multi-sport athlete, so if he doesn't get another shot at the NFL, maybe he can fall back on baseball again.
- DB Royce Adams - After reading this article about how dedicated the guy was, you kind of feel bad seeing him let go before the start of camp.
Players Placed on the Active/Non-Football Injury List
- RB Terrance West - This was the name that jumped out the most, but West immediately said on Twitter that there are no worries, and he'll be ready to go. Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer says that a source tells her West will be ready to practice on Friday.
- OL Chris Faulk - It will be a groundbreaking day in this guy's career when he finally gets to say that he's not on an injured list in the NFL.
- OL Jeremiah Warren - Unclear what's wrong with him.
- DL Billy Winn - There hadn't been any reports of Winn being hurt, so let's hope it's the same case as West and that he'll be ready for the start of camp.
- DL Jacobbi McDaniel - Unclear what's wrong with him.
- LB Tank Carder - The linebacker depth would be even thinner with both Carder and Magee gone.
With all of the transactions mentioned, the Browns' roster sits at 88 players. They'll add a couple of more guys on Thursday or Friday, so we'll keep you posted when the transactions roll on in.