The Cleveland Browns made several roster moves on Wednesday, and they made a couple of more on Thursday. With the roster currently sitting at just 87 players, more moves are expected on Friday, which is the first day that veterans report to training camp. Here is a summary of the moves that were announced on Thursday:
Players Added to the Roster
- OLB Edgar Jones - 6-3, 256 lbs. - Back on June 9 of this year, the Browns brought Jones in for a workout. Given that he was a veteran and the team had just dumped Quentin Groves and Larry Grant, I kind of assumed the team planned on signing him. No announcement was made, so I thought the team had decided to pass on him. Better late than never, eh?
Jones entered the league in 2007 as an undrafted free agent for the Baltimore Ravens. He lasted four years in Baltimore, primarily as a special teams contributor. He played with the Chiefs in 2012 before being traded to the Dallas Cowboys in 2013. Jones has just 38 tackles and 1.5 sacks in his 7-year career.
- The Browns haven't announced it, but reports on Twitter surfaced that the Browns are signing LB Jamaal Westerman. We'll hold off on a report for him until we see something more concrete.
Players Removed from the Roster
- FB Jourdan Brooks - I had given Brooks the worst odds at making the team as a fullback. They didn't really need him, given that MarQueis Gray and Ray Agnew are already poised to compete for the fullback position. Two is enough.
- WR Kenny Shaw - It seemed like Shaw could compete for a punt return spot, but it sounds like Travis Benjamin is optimistic about his camp status. The Browns have now waived two receivers in two days; will they be adding any other receivers for camp?
Players Removed from the Active/Non-Football Injury List
- The team announced that OL Chris Faulk, DL Jacobbi McDaniel, OL Jeremiah Warren and RB Terrance West are all back on the active roster. Good for Faulk -- it sounds like he'll get an opportunity in camp after all!
- DL Billy Winn and LB Tank Carder remain on the active/non-football injury list.
Players Finding Landing Spots Elsewhere
- WR Conner Vernon was claimed off waivers by the Cincinnati Bengals.
- ILB Brandon Magee was claimed off waivers by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.