The Cleveland Browns held their first practice since Saturday's 13-12 loss to the Detroit Lions on Monday. This was the only Berea session of camp that was scheduled to start at a time other than 9:30 AM, as practiced kicked off at 10:00 AM instead. Let's take a quick look at what went down.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 12 (8/11/14)
- Rain Keeps Practice Ourdoors: We've had beautiful, sunny weather for every day of training camp thus far, but that changed Monday when the rain started pouring down in Berea. Many of the past head coaches would have moved practice indoors and sent the fans home. Not Mike Pettine, though -- he kept the Browns outdoors, which also meant the fans got to stay.
The Browns probably had their lowest turnout of camp due to the weather, and it's no co-incidence that this is the first day the Browns haven't tweeted out their camp attendance. The rain didn't last the entire practice, and Pettine explained his reasoning for keeping practice outside:
"We’re going to have to play in rain at times," said Pettine. "I thought it was good work for the quarterbacks and the receivers especially working with a wet ball."
Wet Conditions Indeed Play a Factor: According to reports, on the third pass of the day for QB Brian Hoyer, he was intercepted by CB Joe Haden, who then lateraled to SS Donte Whitner for a touchdown. It wasn't a bad read by Hoyer, though, as WR Miles Austin slipped on the play, leading to the pick. When it came to QB Johnny Manziel, he fumbled his first snap of the day.
Skrine Has Hoyer's Number: It was a big day for CB Buster Skrine, who seemed to have the number of QB Brian Hoyer. Skrine broke up a couple of passes thrown by Hoyer, and then intercepted a long pass intended for WR Charles Johnson. While CB Justin Gilbert continues to nurse a minor injury, Skrine is showing the coaches why he still warrants significantly playing time on gameday.
Let's Act Like That Didn't Happen: According to Pat McManamon of ESPN, "at one point in practice, Manziel got lost in the trees of linemen and tried a flip a la Brandon Weeden, but forward. The ball fell to the ground."
Goal Line Competition: The orange jersey competition on Monday involved a best-of-three plays battle between the offense and the defense in goal line drills, according to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal. Per Ulrich, QB Johnny Manziel ran the first play and got a touchdown pass to WR Charles Johnson.
On the second play, QB Brian Hoyer had a touchdown for TE Jim Dray, but Dray dropped it. The final play involved WR Anthony Armstrong slipping and falling, so Hoyer's pass had no chance after he threw it his direction. That means the defense came away victorious again.
Cameron Getting Back in the Mix: The Browns are going to start working TE Jordan Cameron back into things. He participated in practice on Monday, but wore a "non-contact" jersey to ensure other players were more cautious around him. It seems likely that Cameron will play Monday against the Washington Redskins.
- Injury Report: WR Josh Gordon sat out with a minor abdominal injury. TE MarQueis Gray thankfully passed the concussion test, but still sat out with an abdominal injury as well. Other non-participants in practice included WR Nate Burleson (hamstring), CB Justin Gilbert (groin), DE Billy Winn (abdomen), ILB Darius Eubanks (shoulder), OL Randall Harris (knee), OLB Eric Martin (concussion), and OLB Keith Pough (ankle)
- Brownies: LT Joe Thomas had the day off again, so Paul McQuistan took reps in his place. ... The rotation at right guard continues with OG John Greco and OG Garrett Gilkey, even though Greco ran with the ones the entire time in Detroit. ... Head coach Mike Pettine credited CB Leon McFadden for his aggressive play against the Lions. ... WR Miles Austin caught a touchdown pass from QB Brian Hoyer, but WR Andrew Hawkins dropped a deep one. ... Practices continues Tuesday morning at 9:30 AM ET.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Kirksey angling to be a major contributor sooner than later (Jones, Browns.com)
Quarterbacks react to the Donte Whitner locker room survey (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- 2014 Browns training camp snapshot: Day 12 (Ulrich, Akron Beacon Journal)
- Cleveland Browns training camp report: Day 12 (Cabot, Plain Dealer)
- Browns Camp Report: Day 12 (McManamon, ESPN)