The Cleveland Browns held their final training camp session of the summer on Saturday. The session was closed to the public, but members of the media were there. With training camp over, it's time to play the waiting game for a couple of things -- who will start the season at quarterback, and what will come of WR Josh Gordon's appeal.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 16 (8/16/14)
- All Hell Breaks Loose: On the final day of practice, the biggest "fight" of camp broke out, and it seems as though it went a little like this.
In all seriousness, camp was supposedly off to a very sloppy start, with the defense getting a couple of interceptions. Then, perhaps out of built-up frustration, Browns RT Mitchell Schwartz shoved LB Justin Staples from behind after a play. About 25 players got involved in the scuffle, according to Zac Jackson of FOX Sports, and Mike Pettine was pissed off -- not only because of how long the fight lasted, but how practice had been going up until that point. There was too problem, too: LT Joe Thomas at the bottom of the pile.
Gordon Returns to Practice: There is still no word on his suspension, but WR Josh Gordon returned to practice on Saturday, providing a glimmer of hope that he will play against the Redskins this Monday. WR Nate Burleson is still out with a hamstring issue.
Throwing Across the Grain: I'm sure it's part of the excitement that comes with QB Johnny Manziel, but on a couple of his rollouts on Friday, I noted that he was nearly intercepted on risky throws back over the middle. On Saturday during a red zone drill, Manziel reportedly rolled out and then threw the ball back across his body, only to be picked off by CB Royce Adams.
It's all part of the learning experience, though. Here is Manziel rolling out on another play and connecting with WR Taylor Gabriel for a touchdown. As you can see, Gabriel puts a nice move on Adams at the end to complete the score.
But just as nice as that was, Manziel was almost picked off on another rollout, this time by S Jordan Poyer.
Benjamin's Strong Week Continues: After the scuffle, the offense picked things up when QB Brian Hoyer completed a deep pass to WR Travis Benjamin, with CB Leon McFadden and S Robert Nelson in coverage. It was a strong week for Benjamin, who is expected to play against the Redskins on Monday.
- Injury Report: The injury list is starting to get a bit long. CB Buster Skrine, CB Isaiah Trufant (knee), CB K'Waun Williams (knee), CB Aaron Berry (groin), CB Pierre Desir (knee), CB T.J. Heath (hip), DE Desmond Bryant (wrist), OL Michael Bowie (shoulder), OL Randall Harris (knee), OL Paul McQuistan (ankle), WR Nate Burleson (hamstring), ILB Darius Eubanks (shoulder), OLB Eric Martin (concussion) and LB Keith Pough (ankle) did not practice.
- Brownies: CB Justin Gilbert intercepted a pass thrown by QB Rex Grossman. ... WR Miles Austin had a couple of catches in drills. ... RB Ben Tate caught a touchdown pass from QB Brian Hoyer in red zone drills. ... QB Johnny Manziel found WR Charles Johnson in the red zone for a touchdown.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Johnny Manziel knows he's not ready for Pittsburgh (yet) (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- Cleveland Browns camp report day 16 (Cabot, Plain Dealer)
- 2014 Browns training camp snapshot: Day 16 (Ulrich, Akron Beacon Journal)
- Browns Camp Report: Day 16 (McManamon, ESPN)