If you're reading this, you're probably already aware of the Ice Bucket Challenge and how the recent viral fad is sweeping the nation for a great cause. But just in case a few of our readers are less keen with the interwebs, here's a quick rundown of what it is and how it works:
- Dump a bucket of ice water on yourself and share it via social media.
- Upon completion, challenge three others to make a donation to charity or attempt the Ice Bucket Challenge themselves within 24 hours.
It sounds simple enough, so what's all the buzz about?
Well, this fun little viral challenge has exploded to such popularity that several hundred thousand people have been inspired to participate, including many celebrities and athletes such as Cleveland's own, and encouraged the donation of an "unprecedented" amount of money to charity, most notably The ALS Association:
As of Sunday, August 17, 2014, The ALS Association has received $13.3 million in donations compared to $1.7 million during the same time period last year (July 29 to August 17). These donations have come from existing donors and 259,505 new donors to The Association.
Now, because Dawgs By Nature hasn't yet been specifically challenged, I thought I'd get the ball rolling for our community. Here... We... Go:
In addition to the ice bucket above, I'll be making a $100 donation to the ALSA in Dawgs By Nature's name and another $100 donation to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital.
Finally, I'm going to challenge the DBN readers three-fold:
- Make a donation to the ALSA or your preferred charity.
- Attempt the Ice Bucket Challenge for yourself and share it in the comments below.
- Lastly, vote for which member of the DBN staff member you'd like to see covered in ice water next.
Or you could always do all of the above.