- "The Browns Are Playing This Perfectly" (Grantland) - "On Tuesday, Mike Pettine and the Browns announced it was too early to make an announcement about their starting quarterback. Then on Wednesday, apparently an extra 24 hours was enough to clarify things. Brian Hoyer is the starter."
- "Browns working on fixing dropped passes" (Morning Journal) - "Now that Browns head coach Mike Pettine has picked someone to throw the ball, his next task is to find reliable players to catch it. Wide receiver has been the glaring weakness of the offense since the start of training camp."
- "Nate Burleson eager to make good 1st impression; says WR Josh Gordon on right path" (C-T) - "Nate Burleson has been spinning his wheels for two weeks. With the Browns’ offense out of rhythm and the receiving corps filled with question marks..."
- "Why losing the starter's job can be a good thing for Johnny Manziel and the Cleveland Browns" (Plain Dealer) - "Johnny Manziel expressed disappointment in learning Brian Hoyer had been named the Browns' starting quarterback Wednesday morning."
- "Eagles' LeSean McCoy leaves game with thumb injury" (SI.com) - "Philadelphia Eagles star running back LeSean McCoy left Thursday night's preseason game against the Pittsburgh Steelers with an injury to his right thumb."
- "Colts GM: Trent Richardson needs to 'answer the bell'" (NFL.com) - "Through two preseason games, Trent Richardson's per-carry average of 2.4 yards is even less than the deflating 2.9 mark in his first stint with the Indianapolis Colts last season."
- "Marrone mad after Bills brawl at practice for second straight day" (PFT) - "Bills coach Doug Marrone said after fights broke out at Wednesday’s that he didn’t want to see that anymore. Apparently his players weren’t listening."
- "Agent's Take: Here's how a deal with J.J. Watt, Texans might play out" (CBS) - "J.J. Watt went public with his frustration over not getting a contract extension like fellow 2011 first-round picks cornerback Patrick Peterson..."