NFL teams are required to release depth charts before every game. In anticipation for this Saturday's preseason game against the Detroit Lions, Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine unveiled his first depth chart, which we have put together in the table below. Beneath the table are some general notes about the depth chart itself.
|Cleveland Browns Depth Chart|
|QB||Brian Hoyer||Johnny Manziel||Tyler Thigpen||Connor Shaw|
|RB||Ben Tate||Terrance West||Chris Ogbonnaya||Edwin Baker||Dion Lewis||Isaiah Crowell|
|FB||MarQueis Gray||Ray Agnew|
|WR1||Josh Gordon||Andrew Hawkins||Travis Benjamin||Marlon Moore||Taylor Gabriel||Jonathan Krause|
|WR2||Miles Austin||Nate Burleson||Anthony Armstrong||Charles Johnson||Willie Snead|
|TE||Jordan Cameron||Gary Barnidge||Jim Dray||Emmanuel Ogbuehi|
|LT||Joe Thomas||Martin Wallace||Abasi Salimu|
|LG||Joel Bitonio||Paul McQuistan||Ryan Lee|
|C||Alex Mack||Alex Parsons||Jeremiah Warren||Nick McDonald|
|RG||John Greco||Garrett Gilkey||Keavon Milton|
|RT||Mitchell Schwartz||Reid Fragel||Michael Bowie||Randall Harris|
|RDE||Billy Winn||Armonty Bryant||Calvin Barnett|
|NT||Ahtyba Rubin||Ishmaa'ily Kitchen||Jacobbi McDaniel|
|LDE||Desmond Bryant||Phil Taylor||John Hughes||Cam Henderson|
|ROLB||Paul Kruger||Jabaal Sheard||Eric Martin|
|MIKE||Karlos Dansby||Zac Diles||Tank Carder|
|WILL||Craig Robertson||Chris Kirksey||Darius Eubanks|
|LOLB||Barkevious Mingo||Justin Staples||Jamaal Westerman|
|RCB||Buster Skrine||Justin Gilbert||Aaron Berry||T.J. Heath||K'Waun Williams||Royce Adams|
|LCB||Joe Haden||Isaiah Trufant||Pierre Desir||Leon McFadden||Robert Nelson|
|FS||Tashaun Gipson||Jordan Poyer||Josh Aubrey|
|SS||Donte Whitner||Jim Leonhard||Johnson Bademosi||Darwin Cook|
|KR||Travis Benjamin||Buster Skrine||Justin Gilbert||Taylor Gabriel|
|PR||Travis Benjamin||Jordan Poyer||Jim Leonhard||Taylor Gabriel|
Notes About the Depth Chart
- To a degree, the depth chart has to be taken with a grain of salt. Regarding the depth chart, Mike Pettine said, "I did [a depth chart] because I had to do it. I would say it's very loose in our minds. It will be fluid, and something that likely changes every week." Nonetheless, we will dissect a few things that stand out to us.
- One example of why you can kind of throw away the back end of the depth chart? Take a look at the wide receiver position. Willie Snead and Taylor Gabriel have had much better camps than Marlon Moore and Charles Johnson, but Moore and Johnson have slightly more experience.
- RB Dion Lewis is buried on the depth chart at running back, and he isn't even listed as an option at kick returner. That can't fare too well for his roster odds.
Gary Barnidge is ahead of Jim Dray at the tight end position, which is a good sign for Barnidge.
- We get a confirmation that the two primary players competing for backup offensive tackle spots are Martin Wallace and Reid Fragel. Veteran Paul McQuistan is listed behind Joel Bitonio, so that tells me that McQuistan isn't in the mix for the starting right guard spot.
- The defensive line chart looks weird at first -- for example, why is John Hughes listed on the third-team, seemingly behind Armonty Bryant? Here is my logical conclusion -- Phil Taylor was placed at defensive end because he just came back to practice. Long-term, Taylor will be the No. 1 nose tackle. That would shift Ahtyba Rubin up to the No. 1 right defensive end, and push Billy Winn to No. 2 and Armonty Bryant to No. 3. By virtue of Taylor moving, Hughes is then back at No. 2 on the depth chart for left defensive end.
- It continues to look like we'll see Paul Kruger on the right side this year instead of on the left side. Mike Pettine said that some positions should really have "co-starters," and I think that's the case with Jabaal Sheard here.
- If you are Leon McFadden, how does 7th or 8th on the depth chart look? Yeah, not too good.
- The kick returner spot currently lists Travis Benjamin as the top guy, so it'll be interesting to see if the Browns keep him there during the preseason.
- Some guy named Brian Hoyer is also ahead of Johnny Manziel.
What are your thoughts on the depth chart, Browns fans?