The Cleveland Browns made five roster moves on Tuesday, waiving one player and picking up four players to reach the maximum roster size of 90. Here is a summary of the moves that were made:
Players Signed by the Browns
- WR Tim Smith - 5-11, 200 lbs. - He was the 113th-ranked receiver in this year's draft class by CBS Sports, coming out of Virginia. In 47 games, he totaled 97 receptions for 1,591 yards and 10 touchdowns. The Browns must have wanted a receiver to replace the recently-waived Chandler Jones, but personally, I think the Browns have enough receivers to go around already.
- TE Kyle Auffray - 6-4, 250 lbs. - The Arizona Cardinals signed Auffray as an undrafted free agent in 2013, but waived him before the start of training camp. The New England Patriots signed him in mid-June, but waived him a week later. He's had an interesting career path, beginning as a college quarterback at Mississippi State and finishing as a tight end and punter at New Hampshire. I wonder if he'll take any reps at punter for the Browns during training camp.
- TE Martell Webb - 6-3, 270 lbs. - Webb entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2011 with the Philadelphia Eagles. He spent all of camp with them, but didn't make the roster. Since then, he's been on the offseason rosters and/or practice squads of the Jets, Buccaneers, Cardinals, Colts, Titans, and Lions. He's never played in an actual NFL game, and based on his history, he is strictly a blocking tight end.
- OLB Keith Pough - 6-2, 236 lbs. - Out of all four players signed, Pough figures to have the best shot at sticking around. He was signed as an undrafted free agent in 2013 by the Buffalo Bills, meaning he spent all of training camp with them. He survived until the final roster cuts, but wasn't on a team during the regular season. He had 2 tackles last preseason, along with 1 assist on special teams.
Players Waived by the Browns
- S Darwin Cook - It was exciting that Cook hailed from Cleveland, OH, but we hadn't really heard much about his progress in camp. With the Browns adding veteran S Jim Leonhard to the roster last week, this is a little bit of addition and subtraction at the safety position.