As others have said, #Browns have interest in WR Dwayne Bowe. My understanding is it's strong interest.— Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) March 13, 2015
The Chiefs cut Bowe yesterday. Josh McCown was cut by the Buccaneers. Brain Hartline was cut by the Dolphins. Thad Lewis was cut by the Texans. So far all three free agent acquisitions by the Browns were players cut by other teams. Dwayne Bowe would make a fourth.
Players cut by other teams and then signed in free agency do not count in the calculations for compensatory draft picks. The pattern developing here lends support to the idea that Farmer is aiming to receive some for the 2016 NFL Draft. According to Over The Cap, they predict the Browns would receive two 4th round compensatory picks and two 5th rounders:
Not for nothing... Current prediction says Browns get two 4ths and two 5ths in comp picks next year: http://t.co/oqaEAQPMsJ— Jared K Mueller (@JaredKMueller) March 13, 2015
As for Dwayne Bowe himself, here are his career stats, courtesy of NFL.com:
G Rec Yds Avg TD 2014 15 60 754 12.6 0 2013 15 57 673 11.8 5 2012 13 59 801 13.6 3 2011 16 81 1159 14.3 5 2010 16 72 1162 16.1 15 2009 11 47 589 12.5 4 2008 16 86 1022 11.9 7 2007 16 70 995 14.2 5 Total 532 7155 13.4 44
As we can see, his production peaked in 2010. His yards per season have declined since 2011 and his touchdowns dropped off this past year, but his average yards per catch have held reasonably steady.
What would he bring to the Browns?
- Hangs onto passes when hit after the catch
- Struggles to haul in balls when hit as the pass arrives
- Effective on slants: uses his body to shield the ball, ready to turn upfield
- Not a special route runner, isn't going to burn corners in the short area with sharp cuts on whip routes and hitches
- Good body control in his routes
- Bad at adjusting to underthrown and low passes
- Also bad at catching throws behind him
- Big catch radius above him and in direction he's headed
- Hands catcher who can go up and get jump balls
- Natural feel for catching passes dropped in over his shoulder
This catch radius is something that the Browns didn't have in their receiver corps. Hartline has improved that somewhat but adding Bowe would even more.