With the twelfth pick of the draft, the Browns selected Danny Shelton, a nose tackle out of the University Washington. Some fans were upset that the Browns passed on WR DeVante Parker from Louisville, but Shelton figures to be a key part of fixing a Browns defense that allowed the most rushing yards in the NFL last year.
With the nineteenth pick, the Browns selected OL Cameron Erving from Florida State. Some fans were upset that the Browns passed on pass rusher Alvin "Bud" Dupree, who was selected with the very next pick.
Appropriately, those are the positions that I consider the Browns top two remaining needs. Here is my list of top remaining needs:
- Pass Rusher - The Browns manufactured some nice pressure though a good defensive scheme last year, but no individual pass rusher on the Browns strikes fear into the heart of quarterbacks.
- Wide Receiver - Signing Dwayne Bowe and Brian Hartline put us in a better spot than we were in last offseason, but Josh Gordon has proved he can't be relied on and Johnny Manziel (or whoever our quarterback ends up being) will need a playmaker.
- Tight End - We have some nice players, but each of them do only one thing well. Who we play might tip our hand as to what we will do on a given play. It would be great to find an athletic TE who can do it all.
- Running Back - I am assuming Cameron Erving will begin his career as a tackle, otherwise I'd have that need next. The Browns could use a fast back to complement the downhill, physical styles of Isaiah Crowell and Terrance West.
- Inside Linebacker - I like what Karlos Dansby and Chris Kirksey bring to the table, but Dansby is no spring chicken and we could use someone to add competition and versatility to that group.
What do you think, Browns fans?