Day 12 oftraining camp took place on Saturday and it was the final practice to be open to the public in Berea in 2015.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 12 (8/15/15)
- Getting Ready for Buffalo: The Browns practiced without pads and were going half-speed most of the day, probably in anticipation for what head coach Mike Pettine expects to be two physical sessions with the Buffalo Bills. Pettine told reporters that he won't tolerate any after-the-whistle confrontations, but also said, "Understand that we’re not going up there to have a pillow fight, either."
- Terrelle Pryor Returns: Without there being any highlights to discuss due to the pace of practice, the top story was WR Terrelle Pryor taking part in practice after missing over a week of action due to a hamstring injury. The critical factor for Pryor having a shot at making the 53-man roster is how he looks during the preseason games, so the fact that he only missed the first one means he still has enough time to prove his worth.
- Getting Healthy! There was more good news on the injury front as LT Joe Thomas, DE Billy Winn, RB Luke Lundy, and OL Joe Madsen all returned to action without restriction. RB Shaun Draughn and FB Malcolm Johnson both wore red non-contact jerseys but took part in practice, which is another positive sign that they are close to returning.
- One Series for Manziel? Are the Browns prepping QB Johnny Manziel for at least one series with the first-team offense? They hinted at it heading into the scrimmage a few weeks ago, but nothing came of it. According to Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository, Manziel saw one series with the first-team offensive line on Saturday:
Manziel took 3 straight snaps behind Joe Thomas and No. 1 line, probably will be w\ones some Thr— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) August 15, 2015
- Duke Johnson Does Some Jogging: Judging by the comments made by running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery last week, he is still waiting for someone to seize the starting running back position. Could the door be open for RB Duke Johnson? Reporters were excited today when Johnson was on the practice field with his helmet. However, he ended up just doing some light jogging. He probably won't jump back in time for this week's sessions with Buffalo, but he could be back after that.
- Non-Punt Returners Fielding Punts: The Browns ended practice with another jersey competition, this time with linebackers squaring off against tight ends. The players had to try fielding punts from the JUGS machine, and Kevin Jones of Browns.com says that TE Gary Barnidge secured the win for the offense with a diving catch. Here's an example of one of the punts:
Browns end practice with a little fun. Position players had to catch punts from the JUGS machine. It started well... pic.twitter.com/wopyv7O2pt— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 15, 2015
- Injury Update: The following Browns did not participate today: WR Dwayne Bowe (hamstring), CB Joe Haden (hamstring), CB Pierre Desir (hamstring), S Tashaun Gipson (calf), DB De'Ante Saunders (leg), and CB Robert Nelson. Gipson is the new addition to the list, but the Browns are saying that it's nothing to be concerned about.
- Brownies: There were 3,012 fans who attended the final practice in Berea. ... With the high humidity and the sun shining bright, it felt like the hottest day of camp. ... The Browns will be taking a train to Rochester. ... FOX Sports' Jay Glazer was in attendance at camp. ... There were 63 dogs adopted through camp this year. ... The Browns' next practice is this Monday at 10:00 AM at St. John Fisher College, Pittsford, NY, in conjunction with the Bills.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Pryor says time off helped his chances to make Browns roster (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- 5 observations from Day 13 of Browns training camp (Jones, Browns.com)
- Training Camp Notes: Pryor, Thomas Return (Greetham, The OBR)