Day 14 of Buffalo Bills. This was the second of two joint practice sessions prior to Thursday's preseason game back in Cleveland.training camp took place Tuesday evening at St. John Fisher College, Pittsford, NY, in conjunction with the
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 14 (8/18/15)
- Disastrous Camp Continues for Gilbert: The disastrous camp for CB Justin Gilbert continues, but this time, it's not because he was burned. Instead, he had to leave practice with what is being reported as a hip flexor injury.
Cleveland Browns cornerback Justin Gilbert got hurt on this play while covering Buffalo Bills Tobais Palmer pic.twitter.com/TjKFaN8kGl— James P McCoy (@jmccoyphoto) August 19, 2015
- Sucking the Life Out of a Story: The No. 1 thing I was looking forward to for Thursday's preseason game was how WR Terrelle Pryor would perform in live action, but you can throw that thought out the window. Pryor missed Tuesday's practice after tweaking his hamstring injury again on Monday. Who knows how long he'll be out, but the opportunities for him to prove himself are quickly dwindling.
- Lacking Offensive Touchdowns: The Browns did not have any offensive touchdowns during team drills, according to Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan. Things did pick up a bit during two-minute drills, though:
Highlight plays for #Browns were Josh McCown to Andrew Hawkins for 39 yds and Johnny Manziel to Shane Wynn for 46 yds. Both in 2-min drill.— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 18, 2015
- A Step Back for Benjamin: It figures that right after WR Travis Benjamin reached his peak praise in camp for coming around as a receiver, he had his worst day of camp with respect to holding on to the football. Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland says that Benjamin had four dropped passes, one of which would have been a touchdown. It shouldn't hurt Benjamin's odds at making the roster; every non-rookie type of player will get a pass for one bad practice...just don't let them pile up.
- More Praise for Shelton: While it was a down day for Benjamin, the consistency of NT Danny Shelton continued. As relayed by Kevin Jones of Browns.com, Shelton was praised by Bills head coach Rex Ryan and also had his way with OG Richie Incognito:
Rex Ryan just walked across the field to talk to Browns DL Danny Shelton. "I watched the film, and man, I love the way you hustle!"— Kevin Jones (@Mr_KevinJones) August 18, 2015
Danny Shelton going against former Pro Bowler Richie Incognito and he's handling him— Kevin Jones (@Mr_KevinJones) August 18, 2015
- Browns Get Extra Work In: The joint practice ended after about 1.5 hours, due to a combination of rain originally being projected and the injuries suffered (RB LeSean McCoy was today's victim for Buffalo). That didn't stop the Browns from extending practice on their own:
Bills-Browns portion of practice ends; Cleveland opts to put in more work. Love this pic.twitter.com/0jBSCzl3lW— Kevin Jones (@Mr_KevinJones) August 18, 2015
- Injury Update: LT Joe Thomas, ILB Karlos Dansby, and OLB Paul Kruger received veteran days off, so OL Cameron Erving and OLB Nate Orchard were with the first-teamers. FB Luke Lundy suffered another concussion on Monday, making that two concussions in three weeks for the rookie. RB Shaun Draughn and WR Marlon Moore also sat out.
- Brownies: There were two minor dust-ups between the teams, including one involving NT Phil Taylor. ... Browns owner Jimmy Haslam was at practice. ... CB Charles Gaines registered a sack. ... Both teams were said to have won on the defensive side of the ball. ... QB Josh McCown was intercepted during a red zone drill. ... ILB Craig Robertson drew positive reviews from the practice. ... QB Matt Cassel hit former Browns TE MarQueis Gray for a touchdown with SS Donte Whitner in coverage.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Gilbert suffers hip flexor & Pryor sits again with a hamstring (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- 5 Browns defensive observations from Day 2 with the Bills (Jones, Browns.com)
- 5 Browns offensive observations from Day 2 with the Bills (Gribble, Browns.com)