Day 15 oftraining camp took place Saturday morning as the team was back to practicing in Berea for the first time in a week. Practices are no longer open to the public, and there are only two more closed sessions to go.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 15 (8/22/15)
- Understanding the Scope: Now that fans are closed off from practice, the Browns are going to start practicing some more concepts they plan on using in the regular season. That means we're going to see fewer reports of specific plays from practice -- the reports will now basically be a summary of "who's in" and "who's out" in terms of injuries. Cleveland had a very light practice, basically a walkthrough, on Saturday in shells and shorts.
Duke Johnson & Dwayne Bowe Appear: The biggest headline came on the injury front with RB Duke Johnson and WR Dwayne Bowe taking part in practice. We'll still have to see whether or not they'll participate when the pads go on, but it's good to see them getting some reps again.
Johnson told reporters after practice that his hamstring injury didn't feel serious and that he doesn't even think he pulled it (that is probably a stretch, but he says the team wanted to be cautious). Despite the time he's missed, he's hoping to get a shot at the starting running back role:
"I feel like I can, but that is not my decision. The only thing that I can actually control is to come out here and play football every day. I am going to push my teammates if I am not that starting guy, just know whoever is the starting guy is the best man for the job because we came out here and competed and we push each other to be the best."Bowe says that he's never had a hamstring injury in camp and had not ever previously missed a day of training camp in nine years. When asked if he would play in the next preseason game, he felt that he would:
"I should. I am working up to it. I think right now they just want to see what I can do without pushing it or straining it anymore. I feel good enough to play, but it is all up to them."
Manziel to Duke Johnson: I'm sure QB Johnny Manziel would love to have this option next week: dumping the ball off to RB Duke Johnson. This isn't much of a highlight, but it gives you a glimpse into the speed of practice today.
More Bodies Return to Practice: CB Pierre Desir, DB De'Ante Sanders, and RB Shaun Draughn were back to practice in some fashion, although Draughn was still wearing a cast. FB Malcolm Johnson and WR Marlon Moore participated, but with the red non-contact jerseys again.
- Injury Update: The following players did not take part in practice: QB Connor Shaw (right thumb), FB Luke Lundy (concussion), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), OL Michael Bowie (shoulder), OLB Barkevious Mingo (knee), CB Joe Haden (hamstring), CB K’Waun Williams (abdominal), CB Justin Gilbert (hip), CB Robert Nelson Jr. (hamstring), FS Tashaun Gipson (calf), and S Jordan Poyer (concussion). Bowie is new to the list, and the list also confirms Poyer's concussion suffered during Thursday's game.
The Barge on Display: The Browns don't face the Lions in the preseason this year, but for whatever reason, the media were treated to viewing the Great Lakes Classic Barge before practice:
- Brownies: There were 120 moms who took in practice as part of the Cleveland Browns Moms Clinic, hosted by sports reporter Allie LaForce. ... After practice, head coach Mike Pettine spoke in future tense about CB Johnson Bademosi and WR Marlon Moore, as if he expected both to make the roster. ... QB Josh McCown did not have any restrictions on his throwing hand, while QB Connor Shaw was on the sidelines after having surgery on his thumb. ... The Browns will held two more closed practices on Sunday and Monday.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- 5 observations from the Browns return to practice field (Gribble, Browns.com)
- Dwayne Bowe, Duke Johnson dismiss time off as time wasted (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)