Day 16 oftraining camp took place Sunday morning as the team held a more regularly-paced practice in pads in front of the media.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 16 (8/23/15)
- The Sore Elbow Returns: The biggest story of the day was the fact that QB Johnny Manziel exited practice early (~10 minutes early) after his right elbow got sore again. According to The OBR, Manziel brought it to the attention of his coaches after this deep throw to WR Josh Lenz:
Kevin O'Connell, who is only 30 years old, could step in for a few one-on-one drills.
Unique Tandems on Offense & Defense? Over at Browns.com, Kevin Jones brought up some unique personnel combinations we could be seeing on both sides of the ball. Jones says that RB Duke Johnson and RB Isaiah Crowell were in the backfield at the same time on a couple of plays. After practice, head coach Mike Pettine noted that Johnson looked "explosive."
On defense, Jones notes that both DL Danny Shelton and DL Phil Taylor were in on defense during 9-on-9 drills, with Shelton playing end and Taylor at the nose. Pettine told reporters that both players would likely play at the same time in goal line defense to clog the middle and force running backs to take things outside.
How About...Six O-Linemen? If the Browns have six offensive linemen who could start, then why not start six offensive linemen? According to ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi, the Browns worked on a few plays in short-yardage situations in which rookie OL Cameron Erving lined up as a blocking tight end.
- General Practice Highlights: Over at the OBR, Hayden Grove has done a wonderful job at capturing highlights of practice and posting them to Twitter. Sit back and enjoy the collection he had today, including one in which QB Josh McCown is rattling off instructions.
- Hawkins Wins the Jerseys: The camo jerseys were on the line for one last competition of training camp. It came down to the final play of the two-minute drill. With two seconds on the clock, QB Josh McCown hit WR Andrew Hawkins in the back of the end zone. Hawkins kept his feet in bounds as he beat CB Kendall James:
- Injury Update: The following players did not take part in practice: OL Michael Bowie (shoulder), CB Joe Haden (hamstring), CB Justin Gilbert (hip flexor), FS Tashaun Gipson (calf), FB Luke Lundy (concussion), OLB Barkevious Mingo (knee), CB Robert Nelson Jr. (hamstring), S Jordan Poyer (concussion), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), QB Connor Shaw (right thumb), TE Randall Telfer (foot), DB K’Waun Williams (abdominal) and RB Glenn Winston (knee).
- Brownies: LT Joe Thomas had one of his veteran rest days. ... OLB Nate Orchard was excused from practice for personal reasons. ... All three coordinators will speak following Monday's final practice of training camp. ... RB Isaiah Crowell had his thumb wrapped up but returned during practice. ... WR Travis Benjamin caught several passes. ... The team's final practice of camp (i.e. that media can watch in full) is on Monday.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources