Day 17 oftraining camp took place Monday morning. It was the final training camp session of the summer, which always makes it a little sad that our recaps are over until next year. But, the team will still be practicing (in private), and it means that the regular season is all-the-more closer!
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 17 (8/24/15)
- Light Day of Work: The Browns ended camp with another "light" practice after having had a physical one on Sunday. When you see a guy like Packers WR Jordy Nelson tear his ACL in a non-contact situation, I wouldn't blame the coaches for keeping things light. Besides the number of absences due to injuries, the following players also had "rest" days on Monday: RB Shaun Draughn, OG John Greco, DL Desmond Bryant, DL Randy Starks, OLB Paul Kruger, SS Donte Whitner, and CB Tramon Williams.
A Little Wynn at Safety? The Browns have been incredibly thin at safety, and with SS Donte Whitner getting a day off, that meant that S Ibraheim Campbell and S Landon Feichter were really the only two safeties available for practice. Wanting to spread the reps around, head coach Mike Pettine sent WR Shane Wynn to the other side of the ball to play a couple of snaps at safety. It remains to be seen whether Wynn will play any safety during Saturday's preseason game against the Buccaneers, but I wouldn't count on it.
Manziel Rests Arm, Pryor Assists: QB Johnny Manziel did not throw passes during the final practice due to his sore elbow, and the coaching staff conceded that it's a combination of his mechanics (three quarters delivery) and the loss of QB Connor Shaw. The coaching staff expects him to play in the third preseason game.
With Manziel simply handing the ball off during practice, QB Terrelle Pryor -- still idle from running due to a hamstring injury -- threw passes to wide receivers in some one-on-one drills instead of QB coach Kevin O'Connell.
Struggles Continue for Mayle: According to Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland, WR Vince Mayle dropped another pass during practice, this time a deep ball from QB Thaddeus Lewis. Remember that the Browns' front office didn't have any issues cutting a 3rd round pick in his second season last year (CB Leon McFadden), even though that player had somewhat come from a different regime.
Defense Wins the Final Camp Competition! In the final practice jersey competition of camp, the defense prevailed, thanks to S Landon Feichter. Grossi says that he intercepted a pass by QB Josh McCown at the goal line on a pass intended for WR Andrew Hawkins.
Coordinators Call Out Surprise Players: Speaking to the media before practice, both coordinators discussed five players who were camp surprises.
On offense, here is what John DeFilippo said:
"Up front (OL) Darrian Miller I think has gotten a lot better. I think he’s a more natural tackle than he is a guard. We had him playing more guard in spring, I think he’s a much more natural tackle, that’s what he played at Kentucky. I think he’s playing pretty good and he’s getting a lot better. Emanuel Bibbs (TE E.J. Bibbs) has gotten a lot better, you know in terms of cutting down his mental mistakes. Obviously he shows what he can show when he has the ball in his hand, making guys miss. He’s done a nice job talking about the tight end position. Then the two guys that are playing receiver, Josh Lentz and Darius Jennings just continue to make plays every day on the field and in practice. That’s just all those guys do is do the right thing and make plays. From a young players standpoint those would we be the guys I’m really pleased with and excited about and I’m sure I’m leaving someone out but those are the guys."On defense, here is what Jim O'Neil said:
"I’d like to go by each level of the defense. If I start it up front, the draft picks are the draft picks I’ve been very impressed with those guys. Dylan Wynn’s gotten some attention; I just love how he plays the game, what he represents as a person. He’s going to give you everything he has. He’s had to play out of position some for us, just because of injury but he’s a guy I’ve really been impressed with.
I think the injuries in the backend have really allowed some DB’s to back up. I think IC (DB Ibraheim Campbell) has done a great job at safety, he has played almost the entire two preseason games and I think you’ve been able to see how physical he’s going to be in the run game. He’s where he’s supposed to be in the pass game and I think he’s only going to get better as he spends time in the system. (DB Landon) Feichter who we call Flex has been another guy that’s gotten a million reps and he’s done a great job. He just been a smart, tough guy out there for us who puts himself in position and makes the plays he’s supposed to make. Then the two corners who have really come in the past week have been (DB) Kendall James and Charles Gaines. Those were two guys, and I told them maybe two weeks ago they weren’t in the conversation to make the 53 and the way they’ve performed in the past week they’ve both put themselves very much in the conversation to make the 53. They both went up to Buffalo like they were on a mission and they’ve consistently made play after play after play so I’ve been very happy with those two guys."
Another Bibbs Highlight: ...because why not?
@H_Grove Even in practice, Bibbs is so good at making people miss. He just blew right by those three defenders untouched.— Dawgs By Nature (@DawgsByNature) August 24, 2015
- Injury Update: The following players did not take part in practice: OL Michael Bowie (shoulder), CB Joe Haden (hamstring), CB Justin Gilbert (hip flexor), FS Tashaun Gipson (calf), DL Ishmaa’ily Kitchen (groin), FB Luke Lundy (concussion), OLB Barkevious Mingo (knee), CB Robert Nelson Jr. (hamstring), S Jordan Poyer (concussion), WR Terrelle Pryor (hamstring), CB K’Waun Williams (abdominal), and RB Glenn Winston (knee).
- Brownies: RB Duke Johnson was catching up on some reps at kick return. ... Special teams coordinator Chris Tabor said that both young kickers are neck-and-neck and he doesn't think a veteran needs to be brought in. ... OL Cameron Erving played right guard with the first-team offense while OG John Greco was resting. ... Training camp is over for 2015.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- 5 observations from the Browns’ final training camp practice (Gribble, Browns.com)
- Manziel's mechanics contributing to sore elbow (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)