Day 7 oftraining camp took place on Thursday and was the prelude to the big orange and brown scrimmage in Columbus on Friday.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 7 (8/6/15)
- experimented with flying a drone over their practice fields for about ten minutes. When a drone appeared over the team's practice fields about a half hour in to Thursday's practice, members of the media assumed that the Browns were experimenting with the technology again:
Ravens or Steelers or Bengals. ... I mentioned shooting it down, but you have to get creative in how you do it."
For now, the owner of the drone remains a mystery, but I'll be curious if we find out any more details about it in the coming days.
I'm not sure how this isn't bigger news. During rookie minicamp this offseason, the Browns
- A Couple of Knee Scopes: The Browns announced that OLB Barkevious Mingo and RB Glenn Winston will undergo knee scopes, probably putting them out of action for a minimum of 2-4 weeks. Putting him on IR would open up another roster spot for camp. As far as replacing Mingo, Pettine discussed what the team plans on doing until he comes back:
"Kruger will take on some more of our SAM linebacker role along with Orchard, who we’ve been prepping to do that. We might have to package some other things, using whether it’s an additional safety or and additional inside linebacker. But still, we’re a ways away from having to worry about that chart from a game standpoint."
- Alex Mack = New Kicker? The Browns held a similar competition for the camouflage jerseys that they did last year by having offensive and defensive linemen attempt field goals. After 12 players had missed field goals, C Alex Mack came through in the clutch.
BIG GUY FIELD GOAL CONTEST AND ALEX MACK HITS THE WINNER https://t.co/xGW4aDjBJd— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 6, 2015
- Desir the Latest Victim of the Hamstring: The dreaded hamstring injury has taken its toll on Browns players this camp, and the latest victim is CB Pierre Desir. That might open up a few more opportunities for CB Justin Gilbert, who is looking to be more involved in the game besides the option of returning kicks. Andrew Gribble of Browns.com notes that when CB Joe Haden rested near the end of practice, Gilbert had some reps with the first-team defense in 11-on-11 drills.
- Progress for Manziel: After practice, head coach Mike Pettine said that QB Johnny Manziel should get a few reps with the first-team offense during Friday's scrimmage, which would really be the first time he's done so this camp. Pettine said that QB Josh McCown is still firmly the starter, so this sounds like more of Pettine wanting to recognize and reward Manziel for the work he's put forth. Also, I think you typically give your No. 2 quarterback some work with the first-team offense in case of an emergency.
- Red Zone Success for Wynn: QB Johnny Manziel had three touchdown passes in red zone drills: two to WR Shane Wynn and another to RB Shaun Draughn, both of whom have taken on bigger workloads due to injuries. Here are the highlights of Manziel's hook-ups with Wynn:
- Injury Update: Nobody is returning from their injuries yet. Besides the injuries already mentioned today, TE Kevin Haplea (knee) is the only other one to add to the list.
- Brownies: There were 3,187 fans who attended practice, the highest amount of camp. ... With LT Joe Thomas having another veteran day off, Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland reports that rookie OL Cameron Erving saw some action with the first-team offense at left tackle. ... FS Tashaun Gipson got "dinged" during a goal line drill on Wednesday and was held out of practice as a precaution. ... Chef Michael Symon was a guest at practice. ... TE E.J. Bibbs is getting some work at fullback while FB Malcolm Johnson is out. ... QB Josh McCown mishandled a snap at one point during practice. ... NT Danny Shelton got involved in a skirmish with OL Eric Olsen. ... Day 8 of practice will be the orange and brown scrimmage on Friday in Columbus.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Manziel's improvement results in some first-team reps in Columbus (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- 5 observations from Day 7 of Cleveland Browns training camp (Gribble, Browns.com)
- Pryor will sit out scrimmage at OSU, Glenn Winston undergoes scope (Cabot, Plain Dealer)
- Mingo, Winston undergoing arthroscopic knee surgery (Ulrich, Akron Beacon Journal)
- Mingo, Winston have arthroscopic knee surgeries (Petrak, Chronicle-Telegram)