Day 9 oftraining camp took place on Sunday, but it wasn't an exciting one to take in if you were looking for competitive action as everybody was going half speed.
CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 9 (8/9/15)
- Practice Tempo: The Browns had their largest turnout in Berea of the season, but unfortunately, for fans in attendance, this was the most lackluster practice they could have attended. The team did not wear pads, it was only a two-hour practice, and according to Andrew Gribble of Browns.com, there were no full-speed 11-on-11 drills. Therefore, don't expect to see any highlights or notes about how players performed during today's session.
Erving at RG With First-Team Offense: For the first time this camp, rookie OL Cameron Erving was with the first-team offense at right guard instead of veteran John Greco. Don't read too much in to it, though. While NT Danny Shelton has been promoted/rewarded for his superior play in camp, Erving moving up to the first team was likely done so Greco could get some work with the second-team offense at center. Greco is expected to be back with the first-team offense on Tuesday.
Bibbs Continues to be Camp Darling: This year's undrafted rookie free agent to make the club already appears to be a lock in FB/TE E.J. Bibbs. Those who were at camp today continued to take notice of the versatile role he is being used in:
Browns used rookie TE EJ Bibbs in the backfield out of the pistol formation. He's versatile. Still trying 2 figure out how he went undrafted— Kevin Jones (@Mr_KevinJones) August 9, 2015
T. West Returns: What should have been good news actually turned out to be rather sour news for the running back position. RB Terrance West finally returned to action after having calf cramps, but his return was in exchange for RB Shaun Draughn, who did not practice as he came out with a cast on his hand (took a shot to the thumb, but not believed to be broken).
The real story was after practice, when running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery absolutely ripped the unit for nobody showing the hunger to seize the No. 1 running back job, and for many of them showing up to camp out of shape. I have to imagine that a lot of that was directed toward West and RB Isaiah Crowell, but especially toward West:
Browns RB Terrance West spent his offseason sending workout pics on social media. Was he at the gym but not actually doing anything?— Jeremy Fowler (@JFowlerESPN) August 9, 2015
Unfortunately, He Can't Go Anymore: Although I'm sure Wilbert Montgomery would love it if he could still suit up, Hall of Fame RB Jim Brown is happily retired. He took in practice today:
Greatness. pic.twitter.com/Q4eSauQF5c— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 9, 2015
- Injury Update: How soon before the bicycle brigade exceeds the number of players on the field?
Today's Tour De Berea: D Johnson, M Johnson, R Smith, T Pryor, D Bowe, P Desir, B Winn & R Nelson pic.twitter.com/5ACkqUCVuw— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 9, 2015
- Brownies: There were 3,712 fans who attended practice, which is by far the highest amount of fans to show up in Berea this year. ... WR Terrelle Pryor was working out a little bit on the field and is supposedly close to returning. ... DL Billy Winn also appears to be close to returning to action. ... DL Desmond Bryant had the day off ... The Browns' next practice is Monday at 9:30 AM in Berea (gates open at 8:30 AM). ... The Browns will be doing a live look in beginning at 10:00 AM.
Link Collection / Training Camp Sources
- Montgomery not happy with state of backs (Grossi, ESPN Cleveland)
- 5 observations from Day 9 of Cleveland Browns training camp (Gribble, Browns.com)
- Scribbles about Johnny Manziel, Nate Orchard, etc (Pluto, Plain Dealer)
- West Returns, Draughn Out With Left Hand In A Cast (Ruiter, 92.3 the Fan)
- Training Camp Notes: Running Backs on Notice (Grayshock, The OBR)