NFL teams are required to release depth charts before every game. In anticipation for this Thursday's preseason game against the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns head coach Mike Pettine unveiled his first depth chart, which we have put together in the table below. Beneath the table are some general notes about the depth chart itself.
|Cleveland Browns Depth Chart|
|QB||Josh McCown||Johnny Manziel||Thaddeus Lewis||Connor Shaw|
|RB||Isaiah Crowell||Terrance West||Shaun Draughn||Jalen Parmele||Timothy Flanders||[Duke Johnson]|
|FB||[Malcolm Johnson]||[Luke Lundy]||[Glenn Winston]|
|WR1||Andrew Hawkins||Taylor Gabriel||Vince Mayle||Marlon Moore||Josh Lenz||Darius Jennings|
|WR2||Brian Hartline||Travis Benjamin||Rodney Smith||Shane Wynn||[Dwayne Bowe]||[Terrelle Pryor]|
|TE||Gary Barnidge||Jim Dray||Rob Housler||E.J. Bibbs||Manasseh Garner||[Randall Telfer]|
|LT||Joe Thomas||Andrew McDonald||Darrian Miller|
|LG||Joel Bitonio||Vinston Painter||[Joe Madsen]|
|C||Alex Mack||Ryan Seymour||Eric Olsen|
|RG||John Greco||Cameron Erving||Karim Barton|
|RT||Mitchell Schwartz||Michael Bowie||Erle Ladson|
|RDE||Randy Starks||John Hughes||Jamie Meder||Christian Tupou||[Billy Winn]|
|NT||Phil Taylor||Danny Shelton||Ishmaa'ily Kitchen||Jacobbi McDaniel|
|LDE||Desmond Bryant||Armonty Bryant||Xavier Cooper||Dylan Wynn|
|ROLB||Paul Kruger||Nate Orchard|
|MIKE||Karlos Dansby||Tank Carder||Hayes Pullard|
|WILL||Christian Kirksey||Craig Robertson|
|LOLB||Scott Solomon||Mike Reilly||[Barkevious Mingo]|
|RCB||Tramon Williams||K'Waun Williams||Charles Gaines||Kendall James||[Robert Nelson]|
|LCB||Joe Haden||Justin Gilbert||Johnson Bademosi||Joe Rankin||[Pierre Desir]||[Ifo Ekpre-Olomu]|
|FS||Tashaun Gipson||Jordan Poyer||De'Ante Saunders|
|SS||Donte Whitner||Ibraheim Campbell||Landon Feichter|
|K||Travis Coons||Carey Spear|
|KR||Marlon Moore||Shaun Draughn||Justin Gilbert||Darius Jennings||[Duke Johnson]|
|PR||Travis Benjamin||Tramon Williams||Jordan Poyer||Taylor Gabriel||Shane Wynn|
Notes About the Depth Chart
- Players in [brackets] mean they are injured, thus their ranking on the depth chart should not be taken literally. For example, WR Dwayne Bowe is not at the bottom of the depth chart, but because he's injured, the starting tandem this week will likely be WR Andrew Hawkins and WR Brian Hartline.
- At tight end, Gary Barnidge is listed as the No. 1 guy with Rob Housler all the way down at No. 3. Housler has not been utilized much this camp and E.J. Bibbs could sneak past him soon.
- The starting offensive line from a year ago remains in tact.
- On the defensive line, Phil Taylor is listed as the starting nose tackle. The team has been taking it easy on him in camp, so it wouldn't be a surprise if rookie Danny Shelton actually starts things off on Thursday.
- Because of injuries, we can't see where guys like DL Billy Winn, OLB Barkevious Mingo, and CB Pierre Desir fall on the depth chart. My guess is that Winn would be between Hughes and Meder, Mingo would be between Solomon and Reilly, and Desir would be between Haden and Gilbert.
Johnson Bademosi is indeed being listed as a cornerback, the position he played as a rookie, instead of safety, the position he's been used at the past couple of seasons.
- The kick and punt return slots are all out of whack -- almost what they were like last year. Travis Coons is ahead of Carey Spear, and although we haven't seen much of either kicker this camp, I'd say that Coons does indeed have the edge right now.
What are your thoughts on the depth chart, Browns fans?