Here's what the Browns' official website had to say about Matt Blanchard in their press release:
Blanchard is 6-3, 223 pounds and officially in his second NFL season out of Wisconsin-Whitewater. Originally signed by Chicago as an undrafted free agent in 2012, Blanchard has spent time on the practice squads in Chicago and Carolina. He spent training game this year with Green Bay and was waived during final roster cuts. In college, he guided the Warhawks to a 45-0 record and three Division III national championships during his three seasons after transferring from Northern Michigan. A native of Lake Zurich, Ill., he graduated from Lake Zurich High School.
Blanchard got a handful of reps in the Packers' first and second preseason games. He received a lot more in the third game (they gave him the whole fourth quarter), going 8-for-11 for 87 yards with 1 touchdown and 1 interception.
From my observation of his preaseason tape:
- locked onto primary target, failing to identify other open receivers
- very quick release
- effortless flick to his throws, ball jumps off his hand
- good touch on deep lob passes but questionable accuracy
- below average zip on the ball, especially for deep comeback to far sideline
- can change delivery to get ball out under pressure
- executes with proper timing and ball placement on breaking routes
The Browns released offensive lineman Erle Ladson from the practice squad in a corresponding move. He had spent training camp and the preseason with the Browns.