The Cleveland Browns have signed ten players to their practice squad for the 2015 season. Here is the list of the players on the squad, along with some background information for each of them:
Browns' 2015 Practice Squad
- RB Shaun Draughn - 5-11, 205 lbs. - I was surprised to see that Draughn was practice squad eligible, but he is. Despite having been in the league since 2011 and seeing regular season action in each of those years, he's only played a full season once, hence his eligibility. Draughn on the practice squad seems like a short-term move -- once the team finds a veteran back they like on the 53-man roster, I'd expect them to seek a younger option for the practice squad.
- WR Darius Jennings - 5-10, 169 lbs. - Known as a solid kick returner, Jennings averaged 23.3 yards per kick return on 9 attempts during the preseason, including a 54 yarder in the first game. The average does not include a 54-yarder in the final preseason game that was wiped away by a penalty. He also caught a 37-yard pass from QB Johnny Manziel during the preseason and was thought to be a contender to take WR Travis Benjamin's role on the roster at the beginning of camp. If something were to happen to Benjamin, who is in the final year of his contract, Jennings could get a call up.
- OT Andrew McDonald - 6-6, 310 lbs. - McDonald was an undrafted free agent in 2012 who has bounced around to five different teams, with the Browns being his fifth after the team claimed him off waivers from the Colts at the end of the 2014 season. He was the best "seventh lineman" in camp, and his agent has been constantly tweeting that he's been told McDonald will be re-signed to the 53-man roster later this week. I wouldn't be so sure about that, but for now he's on the practice squad.
- OL Erle Ladson - 6-6, 350 lbs.
- OL Darrian Miller - 6-5, 307 lbs.
- C Garth Gerhart - 6-1, 310 lbs. - The Browns certainly have a surplus of offensive linemen on their practice squad. Fans should be familiar with Gerhart, who was with Cleveland in 2012 as an undrafted free agent and spent most of the year on the practice squad. He has mostly been with the Packers since then and played two games as a reserve in 2014.
- DL Dylan Wynn - 6-2, 283 lbs. - With how much depth the Browns had on the defensive line this camp, it was hard for an undrafted guy to make his presence known. That is exactly what Wynn did, though, having several impressive practices and showing the ability to play a bit of a hybrid role at outside linebacker.
- ILB Hayes Pullard - 6-1, 240 lbs. - A seventh-round pick, it was no surprise to see him land on the practice squad. He had a strong showing at the end of camp, but it wasn't enough to overtake a roster spot from veteran ILB Tank Carder. If something happens at the inside linebacker position injury-wise, Pullard will get the call-up.
- CB Kendall James - 5-11, 180 lbs. - James had strong preseason. Early in camp, he had several near-interceptions, and then he made the most of his opportunities during the games when most of the cornerbacks were out with injuries.
- S De'Ante Saunders - 5-9, 187 lbs. - I'm a little surprised to see Saunders make it over fellow S Landon Feicther, as Feicther had received praise from the coaching staff throughout camp. Saunders was here a little longer, though. Nicknamed De'Ante "Pop" Saunders, his scouting report said that he can "lay the lumber" but had some red flags when it came to character issues in college.
It's worth noting that fourth-round pick Vince Mayle is not on there. Neither is camp superstar Josh Lenz. Here is the status of other practice squad eligible players you might be wondering about:
What About These Players?
- QB Pat Devlin - Unsigned
- RB Timothy Flanders - Unsigned
- WR Vince Mayle - Unsigned
- WR Josh Lenz - Unsigned
- WR Shane Wynn - Has had tryouts with the Jets and Titans.
- OG Karim Barton - Signed to the Texans' practice squad.
- OL Vinston Painter - Unsigned
- OL Eric Olsen - Unsigned
- DL Jacobbi McDaniel - Unsigned
- OLB Mike Reilly - Unsigned
- CB Robert Nelson - Signed to the Cardinals' practice squad.
- CB Joe Rankin - Unsigned
- S Landon Feichter - Unsigned