Besides some shuffling at the quarterback position, the Cleveland Browns made a few other moves the past couple of days. Let’s summarize the moves with a list of what happened:
Players Added to 53-Man Roster
- QB Kevin Hogan promoted from practice squad (link)
- OL Jonathan Cooper claimed off waivers (link)
- DL Gabe Wright was promoted from the practice squad
Players Removed from 53-Man Roster
- QB Charlie Whitehurst cut with injury settlement (link)
- C Austin Reiter was placed on injured reserve
- C Anthony Fabiano was waived
We’ve already covered the quarterback signing and the acquisition of Cooper in other posts. The Browns also re-added Wright to the 53-man roster, as he’s bounced between the practice squad and active roster several times this season already.
Fabiano was promoted from the practice squad last week because Reiter tore his ACL, and the team needed a backup center on gameday in case something happened to John Greco. Reiter could not go on IR at the time because he was signed off the Redskins’ practice squad a couple weeks earlier, and players signed in such a manner have to be on the 53-man roster for at least three weeks before you can take them off of it. I would think that Fabiano will be brought back to the practice squad some time soon.