At this rate, quarterbacks might start to think, “do I even want to be a member of the Cleveland Browns?” It’s not about not wanting the opportunity, but about how shocking it is that quarterbacks can’t even make it past a game for the 2016 season when they are wearing orange and brown.
The latest “victim” is Joe Callahan, who was claimed off waivers from the New Orleans Saints on Monday. Callahan signed with the Packers as an undrafted free agent this year. During the preseason, he was 54-of-88 (61.4%) for 499 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions. You might recall that he actually started the Packers' first preseason game against the Browns, a game where he went 16-of-23 for 124 yards and 1 touchdown.
Looking at the running tally, here is the list of quarterbacks who have started each week for Cleveland, and what the outcome was:
- Week 1: RGIII started, but suffered a fracture in his left shoulder and was placed on IR.
- Week 2: Josh McCown started, but suffered a shoulder injury and is almost ready to return.
- Week 3: Cody Kessler makes his debut, splitting reps with Terrelle Pryor (read-option QB). Kessler survives!
- Week 4: Cody Kessler started and survived again! We’ve got a real streak going here.
- Week 5: Cody Kessler starts, but has to leave with a rib/chest injury. Charlie Whitehurst relieved, suffered a knee injury (and was released). Terrelle Pryor had to finish the game at QB.
- Week 6: Cody Kessler starts and finishes the game despite taking a boatload of hits.
- Week 7: Cody Kessler gets a concussion. Fellow rookie Kevin Hogan has to play.
I hope that either Kessler or McCown are cleared to play this Sunday against the Jets. If they don’t, Hogan would start with Callahan as the backup.