Here is your Week 13 NFL rooting guide that would help Cleveland’s chances of finishing with higher draft picks.
Outlook on the Browns’ own pick
The 49ers, Bears, and Jaguars all lost last week, continuing to leave the Browns little margin for error when it comes to securing the No. 1 overall pick. Cleveland remains the only winless team at 0-12. For the purpose of this article, we’ll only count teams with one or two wins as threats to that pick. SOS numbers come from SB Nation, where the SOS is forecasted to the end of the season.
- The San Francisco 49ers still have one win and a lower SOS (.517) than the Browns (.546). The margin has grown significantly in favor of the 49ers. As a reminder, the team with the lower number would get the higher draft pick if the teams finished with the same record.
- The good news is that the 49ers face the Bears this week. With Cleveland on the bye, one of those two teams will add some cushion between the Browns and themselves. I hope it’s San Francisco. The Jaguars host the Denver Broncos.
Last week, the Eagles lost and the Titans won. Overall, that is good news because Philly’s pick is much more important to Cleveland. Heading into this week:
- The Titans have a 6-6 record and the No. 15 pick. Cleveland has their second-round pick, which would be around No. 47, which is three spots worse than last week. The Titans are on the bye this week, so there won’t be much change with that pick.
- The Eagles have a 5-6 record and the No. 14 pick, up four spots from a week ago. Cleveland has their first-round pick. Philadelphia faces the Cincinnati Bengals this week. We’re rooting for the Eagles to lose every week, but with the Bengals’ recent struggles, I don’t know how likely that is.
Week 13 Rooting Guide Summary
In a best-case scenario for Cleveland’s draft position, we want the following to happen:
- Cincinnati Bengals defeat Philadelphia Eagles
- San Francisco 49ers defeat Chicago Bears
- Jacksonville Jaguars defeat Denver Broncos