The fifth annual NFL Honors show was televised Saturday night, with players and personnel from across the league in attendance. NBC's Conan O'Brien was the host as he was busy during the opening monologue roasting players, coaches, and even NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. Last year, QB Johnny Manziel was subject to many of the punchlines (by then-host Seth Myers), but perhaps due to the severity of the situation, O'Brien abstained from the matter. That didn't prevent him from throwing a few jabs at the Browns, though:
Conan: "The Cleveland Browns fired their coach again -- you know the old saying, 'you can't fire the team.' To which the entire city of Cleveland replied, 'wait a minute, why can't you, fire, the team?'
(Camera cuts to Jim Brown as some of audience laughs)
Conan: "Him I won't fight. The Browns have also hired an executive away from the New York Mets. The Browns have finally figured out their problem -- they're playing the wrong sport."
The first one was pretty flat, but the second one was alright. The Bengals and Vikings caught some of the worst brunt by Conan for their playoff choke jobs.
Before the event commenced, Hall of Fame and legendary Browns running back Jim Brown announced that he'd be revealing the Pro Football Hall of Fame Class of 2016:
No members of the Browns were up for any of the actual awards, which I have recapped below.
NFL Associated Press Awards
Here are the awards for the NFL, as announced by the Associated Press.
- Offensive Rookie of the Year: The winner is Rams RB Todd Gurley, who had 27 votes. The other people who got votes were Buccaneers QB Jameis Winston (17), Raiders WR Amari Cooper (4), Seahawks WR Tyler Lockett (1), and Cardinals RB David Johnson (1).
- Defensive Rookie of the Year: The winner is
CB Marcus Peters, who had 45 votes. The other people who got votes were Bills CB Ronald Darby (4) and Jets DT Leonard Williams (1).
- Coach of the Year: The winner is Panthers head coach Ron Rivera, who had 36.5 votes. The other people who got votes were the Chiefs' Andy Reid (6), Texans' Bill O'Brien (2), Vikings' Mike Zimmer (2), Broncos' Gary Kubiak (1.5), Cardinals' Bruce Arians (1), and Patriots' Bill Belichick (1).
- Defensive Player of the Year: The winner is Texans DE
, who had 37 votes. The other people who got votes were Rams DT Aaron Donald (7), Panthers LB Luke Kuechly (4), and Panthers CB Josh Norman (2).
- Offensive Player of the Year: The winner is Panthers QB Cam Newton, who had 18 votes. The other people who got votes were Steelers WR Antonio Brown (10), Seahawks QB Russell Wilson (7), Patriots QB Tom Brady (6), Cardinals QB Carson Palmer (6), Falcons WR Julio Jones (2), and Vikings RB Adrian Peterson (1).
- Comeback Player of the Year: The winner is
S Eric Berry, who had 38 votes. The other people who got votes were Cardinals QB Carson Palmer (6), Vikings RB Adrian Peterson (4), 49ers LB NaVorro Bowman (1), and Buccaneers RB Doug Martin (1).
- Most Valuable Player: The winner is Panthers QB Cam Newton, who had 48 votes. The other people who got votes were Patriots QB Tom Brady (1) and Cardinals QB Carson Palmer (1).
Hall of Fame Class of 2016
Hall of Fame class of 2016: Eddie DeBartolo, Tony Dungy, Brett Favre, Kevin Greene, Marvin Harrison, Orlando Pace, Ken Stabler, Dick Stanfel— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) February 7, 2016