CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 11 (8/10/16)
1. Rain Chases Browns Inside, Fans Outside: A few weeks ago, I had scheduled Monday and Wednesday off of work this week with the intention of attending practice in Berea. I figured that I would attend one practice for sure, and then depending on the weather, I’d make a judgment call on the other. With rain in the forecast, I abstained from Berea and decided to hit a movie theater for the first time in eight years. I checked out the new Ghostbusters.
Even though I had mixed feelings about the “new” version leading up to its release, I spent about 25 years waiting for Ghostbusters III to make it out of developmental hell. This isn’t quite Ghostbusters III, but I know it’s as close as I’ll get and I had to feel that payoff in a theater to fulfill my nostalgia. Because I went into the theater with the mindset of, “let me sit back, enjoy it, and not worry about critiquing it,” I was perfectly entertained.
After I left the theater, I was caught in the rain and figured that I made the right decision to stay away from Berea. The rain stopped right before practice, though, so the team was outside and the fans were let in. Right after that, the floodgates opened:
The Browns headed inside and the fans had to exit a little before 3:30 PM.
2. Seth DeValve Activated Off PUP: In terms of injury news, the big story on Wednesday was the fact that DeValve was activated off the PUP and took part in practice for the first time all camp. As they would with anybody returning from injury, the team is expected to take it slow with him.
3. Step Further for Haden: On Monday, CB Joe Haden returned to individual drills after being activated from the PUP. He was off on Tuesday, but on Wednesday, he took part in 7-on-7 drills. That’s faster than I expected Haden to be used on 7-on-7 drills; at this rate, maybe we’ll see him actually take part in the third preseason game.
4. Punts Aren’t Working Inside: Around 4:10 PM, P Andy Lee was trying to punt the ball inside, but the ceiling isn’t high enough for that:
A few minutes later, head coach Hue Jackson saw that the weather had cleared so he ushered the team back outside. It was sunny, hot, and humid out at that point, with the fields being a bit waterlogged.
5. Pace of Practice, Pryor Injury: According to reports, the pace of practice was more of a jog — some of that might have been because of the field conditions, but it was also in part because they were somewhat doing a walkthrough to prepare for the Green Bay Packers. While the players were outside, though, the media immediately noticed that WR Terrelle Pryor had his right calf wrapped:
#Browns Terrelle Pryor right calf wrapped with ice on sidelines of practice today— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 10, 2016
6. Injury Updates: As far as the receivers go, Corey Coleman and Andrew Hawkins will not play Friday against the Green Bay Packers. As far as Terrelle Pryor goes, it might be a 50/50 kind of deal:
#Browns Hue Jax said he thinks Terrelle Pryor (calf) will be fine for game He pulled him out of practice b/c"he was laboring a little bit''— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 10, 2016
7. Brownies: For the third straight practice, OL Austin Pasztor was with the first-team offense at right tackle. ... DE John Hughes missed his seventh straight practice for personal reasons. ... The Browns are off Thursday as they get ready to head to Green Bay for Friday’s first preseason game. ... The team’s next practice in Berea is Sunday, but that will be closed to the public. ... The final practice open to the public will be on Monday.