CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 13 (8/15/16)
1. Welcome Back, Josh: After returning to some walkthrough drills on Sunday, the Browns activated WR Josh Gordon off the PUP on Monday so that he could take part in individual drills before sitting out the team portion.
2. More Receivers in Team Drills: Although WR Josh Gordon did not take part in team drills, three other receivers did: WR Corey Coleman, WR Terrelle Pryor, and WR Marlon Moore. Coleman had missed practice for over a week with a hamstring injury, Pryor has a bruised left hand, and Moore had been out with something lingering.
Part of Coleman’s return saw him fielding punts and having to dodge big balls being thrown at him:
3. Stock Up for Meder? According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer, DL Jamie Meder was playing defensive end with the first-team defense on Monday in place of DE Xavier Cooper. Meder looked good in last week’s preseason game and recorded a safety, but if he’s going to replace somebody...well, let’s just say there are a couple of other starting linemen who didn’t look so good.
After practice, head coach Hue Jackson indicated that Meder is likely to start on Thursday against the Falcons. Part of me wonders whether DL Nick Hayden will actually be the odd man out of the lineup, though.
4. Shed the Pads: I find it a little surprising how the Browns have been going half-speed or without pads lately, given what head coach Hue Jackson had been conveying at the start of training camp. After individual drills on Monday, the Browns took off their pads and did a half-speed practice for team drills:
5. Puppy Adoption: A little public service announcement, via the Browns:
During the past two years of training camp, a total of 120 puppies from the SPCA have been adopted at the @Browns Puppy Pound— Dan Murphy (@DMurph_BrownsPR) August 15, 2016
6. Little Depth Chart Change: The Browns released their second depth chart for this week’s game against Atlanta. One difference was at receiver, where Josh Gordon is now on the chart but well behind other receivers. The other change is that Austin Pasztor has gone from backup guard to starting right tackle, bumping Spencer Drango, Alvin Bailey, and Shon Coleman back a spot.
7. Another Day Off for Thomas: LT Joe Thomas sat out of practice for the second straight day with a flare-up in his back. As said yesterday, though, his streak is by no means in jeopardy. DL John Hughes and CB K’Waun Williams were still absent for personal reasons.
8. One More to Go: The Browns have nothing listed on their training camp schedule for Tuesday, and have no practice on Wednesday leading up to Thursday’s game against Atlanta. On Friday, they will hold their final practice of training camp that is fully open to the media, but it’ll be closed to the public.