CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 14 (8/16/16)
1. John Hughes is Back: After a two-week absence, the Cleveland Browns have gotten a key piece of their defensive line back in John Hughes.
#Browns DL John Hughes said his absence was because of personal family matter. Said he never considered retirement. Glad to be back w/ team.— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 16, 2016
My suspicion was correct that this was something family-related. As this was his first day back, the team just had him work on the stationary bike, probably so he can help get himself back into shape. Don’t expect him to play in Thursday’s game against Atlanta, but he should be able to go the following week against the Buccaneers.
2. Thomas Misses 3rd Straight Practice: LT Joe Thomas sat out his third straight practice due to his back issue. At this point, it’s basically the, “you’re a Hall of Famer, take whatever time you need” type of deal for Thomas. Thomas is expected to sit Thursday’s game against Atlanta, but he’ll still try to catch up with former teammate Alex Mack.
#Browns LT Joe Thomas said his back issue an "old man" thing, had MRI, not concerned for regular season. Has dealt w/back issues before.— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 16, 2016
3. Josh Gordon in Team Drills: Continuing to take steps forward, WR Josh Gordon participated in team drills for the first time this camp. He’s still aiming for next week’s preseason game to make his debut. Here is a clip of him working during practice:
4. First Fight of Camp: The Browns had their first fight of training camp, and it doesn’t sound like head coach Hue Jackson was too happy about it. The skirmish pitted NT Danny Shelton against reserve OL Kaleb Johnson.
#Browns Danny Shelton showed spirit slamming OL Kaleb Johnson to the ground, scuffle ensued broken up by Hue Jackson, who brought team in— Fred Greetham (@FredGreetham) August 16, 2016
Reporters say that Jackson immediately called the team in for a huddle to re-inforce the rules about such incidents. Johnson had to leave the field with a trainer with his right eye closed. After practice, Jackson had this to say:
#Browns HC Hue Jackson said I'm not interested in fights, I'm interested in good football players, we've got to keep our poise— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 16, 2016
5. Brownies: As reported earlier, CB K’Waun Williams might have an ankle injury. ... WR Dennis Parks had to leave with some form of an injury. ... The reason that DL Jamie Meder isn’t replacing DE Nick Hayden this week might be because DE John Hughes will be in that role long-term. ... QB Austin Davis remains in the concussion protocol and won’t play against the Falcons. ... WR Rannell Hall is now on the Browns’ injured reserve list after going unclaimed on waivers. ... Today was not listed as a practice date on the Browns’ training camp schedule, but apparently it was. ... They will definitely be off on Wednesday.