CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 15 (8/21/16)
1. Getting the Dates Right: The Cleveland Browns were back to practicing in Berea today for the first time since last Tuesday. It sounds like “training camp” is officially over, but until those joint practices with the Buccaneers have concluded, I’m going to keep referring to it as camp:
With training camp officially over, #Browns practice today before trip to Tampa Bay tomorrow; will practice v Bucs Tues & Wed with game Fri— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 21, 2016
2. As Healthy as Can Be: The Browns didn’t suffer any injuries in the second preseason game, which was perhaps an overlooked positive from the game. Many players have been nursing injuries over the past couple of weeks, and it sounds like everyone was on the same schedule to be ready to return for the third preseason game.
The four players who were out today were RB Glenn Winston, WR Ricardo Louis, DL Nile Lawrence-Stample, and CB Trey Caldwell. That means that WR Josh Gordon, TE Seth DeValve, and CB Joe Haden continued to practice, with the hope that they’ll be ready to play this week. WR Andrew Hawkins was also able to return to action. Also participating were QB Austin Davis, LT Joe Thomas, and DE John Hughes.
3. Gordon vs. Gilbert: Even a guy who has missed basically two years of football can step right in and beat CB Justin Gilbert on cue:
Josh Gordon just made three straight catches over Justin Gilbert, including a fade for a touchdown and a slant that was thrown behind him.— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 21, 2016
After practice, head coach Hue Jackson said that he is working WR Josh Gordon with the first-team offense right now because he wants to know how to utilize Gordon once he comes off of suspension in Week 5.
4. What are the Odds...that we see the Browns take a crack at this against the Buccaneers?
5. Bad Day for Defensive Backs: The media in Berea say that it was not a good day for the defensive backs. Here are a string of tweets reflecting WR Josh Gordon, WR Terrelle Pryor, and WR Josh Boyce having success as practice was coming to a close:
RGIII just tossed one to Josh Gordon, who went up over DB Eric Patterson for a TD. #Browns— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 21, 2016
Terrelle Pryor just caught a ball and there wasn't a defender in the same zip code. The struggle is real for the defense #Browns— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 21, 2016
Boyce had beaten CB Joe Haden on a play, WR Taylor Gabriel was credited for making a nice diving catch, and WR Corey Coleman caught several passes.
6. Change in the Starting Lineup: During practice, CB Joe Haden and CB Jamar Taylor were the outside cornerbacks, and CB Tramon Williams was working in the nickel. It turns out that this isn’t just about mixing up the reps — Taylor is being given a chance to be the starter:
#Browns Hue Jax said Jamar Taylor is getting an opportunity to be "one of our starting cornerbacks" and he's got to make the most of it— Mary Kay Cabot (@MaryKayCabot) August 21, 2016
7. Duke Leaves Dinged Up: During practice, RB Duke Johnson had to leave the field with trainer. After practice, head coach Hue Jackson said that Johnson “got dinged,” which leads me to believe he got his bell rung and was being evaluated for a concussion. They’ll see if he can make the trip down to Tampa for the upcoming practices.
8. Joint Practice Structure: Here is how the joint practices will be in terms of contact: