CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 6 (8/4/16)
1. Back to Work: After having Wednesday off, the Cleveland Browns resumed training camp on Thursday. Today's practice started at 3:25 PM, and earlier in the day, two new players were added to the roster: a fullback and a running back. Despite the team prepared to practice hard in a scrimmage Friday night in Berea, the team was still in full pads on Thursday.
2. Major Waves on the Offensive Line: The other day, we said that C Cameron Erving had to leave due to an elbow injury. He remained out on Thursday as Garth Gerhart filled the void on the first-team offense. Returning to the first-team offense at right guard was John Greco (hamstring) for the first time since camp started.
The big news of the day was the fact that rookie OT Spencer Drango was at right tackle with the first-team offense. Alvin Bailey, who has been the right tackle all offseason, was playing right tackle with the second-team offense.
3. Rest Days: Taking the day off were LT Joe Thomas and TE Gary Barnidge. TE Randall Telfer sat out of practice with his right knee wrapped, and WR Andrew Hawkins was still out with his hamstring injury.
4. More Coleman: WR Corey Coleman had another stellar day in camp, including this beautiful throw-and-catch from QB Robert Griffin III.
Later on in practice, though, it sounds like head coach Hue Jackson was advising him about a not-so-subtle move he tried to get away with:
Corey Coleman pushes off before making catch & scoring; first one to talk to him after the offensive PI was Hue Jackson #BrownsCamp— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 4, 2016
5. McCown to Bibbs in Two-Minute Drill: Today was a day in which the two-minute drill was in play, with the first- and second-team offense taking their crack from 80 yards away and needing a touchdown.
The first-team offense stalled near midfield, with QB Robert Griffin III nearly getting picked off by S Ibraheim Campbell, per Nate Ulrich of the ABJ. QB Josh McCown led the second-team offense to a touchdown-scoring drive just before time expired (reminder: we’ll see no video of this since it was an 11-on-11 drill):
Josh McCown leads No. 2 offense to TD drive in 2-minute drill. 9-yard TD pass to TE E.J. Bibbs with no time left— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 4, 2016
Ulrich adds that QB Cody Kessler and the third-team offense “barely moved the ball.”
6. Defensive 1st-Teamers: Per Hayden Grove of the OBR, the Browns' first-team defense during drills included:
DL: Xavier Cooper, Danny Shelton, Nick Hayden
OLB: Nate Orchard, Paul Kruger
ILB: Christian Kirksey, Demario Davis
CB: Justin Gilbert, Jamar Taylor
S: Jordan Poyer, Ibraheim Campbell
7. Connor Hamlett Continuing to Gain Ground: TE Gary Barnidge has been getting off days, TE Seth DeValve has missed all of camp, and TE Randall Telfer missed practice today. That means TE Connor Hamlett, who has already had an standout camp from a receiving perspective, continued to be in the spotlight. He caught a touchdown pass from QB Robert Griffin III and then mixed in a “Gronk” spike:
TE Connor Hamlett caught an end-zone fade from RGIII for a TD. Proceeded with the Gronk spike. #Browns— Hayden Grove (@H_Grove) August 4, 2016
Grove says that right after that, Hamlett caught another touchdown pass, followed by a second Gronk-spike.
8. Brownies: DL Nile Lawrence-Stample left practice early with an athletic trainer. ... Amidst trade rumors, Hue Jackson said QB Josh McCown is still here and that rumors are just rumors. ... There were 2,319 fans at practice today. ... DL Dylan Wynn was not claimed when the Browns waived/injured him, so he’s now on injured reserve and will likely be released at some point with an injury settlement. ... WR Corey Coleman tried to make a one-handed catch (video below), and Mike Garafolo of FOX Sports says that wide receivers coach Al Saunders yelled out, “trying to be like Odell Beckham — you're not there yet.”