CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 8 (8/6/16)
1. Game Simulation, Down to the Coin: As promised, Saturday’s practice in Columbus was meant to simulate the flow of the game, starting with pre-game positional warm-ups, running out of the tunnel, and then having a coin toss.
2. Corey Coleman Out: He’s been the talk of camp so far, so fans might have been disappointed to learn that WR Corey Coleman was sitting out of practice. He had warmed up, but when the real action was about to begin, he had his upper leg wrapped.
Hue Jackson said Corey Coleman could've practiced today if needed but didn't want to push it "we wan to take care of our players"— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2016
3. Terrelle Pryor Steals the Show: With his counterpart out, WR Terrelle Pryor had his best practice of the year in the stadium he hasn’t been allowed in for five years.
On the offense’s first drive of the afternoon, QB Robert Griffin III connected with Pryor three times, leading to a 43-yard field goal by K Patrick Murray. We’ll get back to Pryor a little bit later.
4. Tracy Howard Picks McCown: During QB Josh McCown’s first series of the game, he was picked off by CB Tracy Howard on a 3rd-and-3 play when he was trying to hit WR Taylor Gabriel. After the pick, QB Austin Davis took over for the other team; his attempt at a touchdown was broken up by S Pierre Desir, but K Travis Coons hit the 33-yard field goal to put points on the board.
Travis Coons ties it with 31 yard FG following McCown INT; Pierre Desir broke up Austin Davis pass inside far front pylon on 3rd down— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 6, 2016
5. Griffin Caps Drive With Pryor TD: When QB Robert Griffin III entered the game again, he was effective again, and we have the video highlights thanks to Dan Labbe of the Plain Dealer. It started with a 26-yard catch-and-run by WR Jordan Payton, and then was capped off by a jump ball touchdown pass in the corner to WR Terrelle Pryor, with CB K’Waun Williams in coverage.
Pryor's touchdown was set up by this catch and run from Jordan Payton. pic.twitter.com/Qxx6ihmKIa— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 6, 2016
Terrelle Pryor with the first touchdown of the day. pic.twitter.com/RrKEuePois— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 6, 2016
That made the “simulated game” have a score of 10-3, and then both “teams” went to the locker room to simulate half time.
6. Fast Start Out of the Half: When QB Robert Griffin III came out to start the second half, he used his mobility to hit WR Rashard Higgins for a nice gain, and then finished the drive with a touchdown dumpoff pass to RB Duke Johnson on 3rd-and-goal to give his side a 17-3 edge.
RG3 on the run to Rashard Higgins. pic.twitter.com/dbcdGOeLBy— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 6, 2016
7. Pryor Ends it in Style: To end the scrimmage, QB Josh McCown dropped back and fired a go route to WR Terrelle Pryor, which he pulled in for a 75-yard catch-and-run touchdown.
Terrelle Pryor's 75-yd TD catch from today. pic.twitter.com/UifpnCHMJl— Tony Gerdeman (@TonyGerdeman) August 6, 2016
8. No Pads: Because this wasn’t a padded practice, and they were coming off of a big scrimmage day, this probably wasn’t the best day to evaluate the defense or the running game.
9. Brownies: Please pray for my computer, which crashed at 3:25 PM when I was trying to watch the live feed and I finally got booted again around 7:50 PM but am still experiencing some freezing. ... The Browns tried a trick play with QB Robert Griffin III pitching it back to WR Terrelle Pryor, who then threw a long pass downfield to WR Marlon Moore, but he couldn’t get to it in time. ... Attendance in Columbus was reported at 42,310 fans. ... WR Rannell Hall hung on to a pass over the middle from QB Cody Kessler amidst tight coverage. ... Unofficially, Daryl Ruiter of 92.3 the Fan logged the stats for the quarterbacks as follows: