CLEVELAND BROWNS TRAINING CAMP REPORT - DAY 10 (8/9/16)
1. Hot Day Starts With Warfield: The heat and humidity were turned up as Tuesday’s practice started, with Andrew Gribble of Browns.com saying the “feels like” temperature in Berea registered at 93 degrees. To kick off practice, the team gathered on the field closest to the VIP tent and listened to Browns Hall of Fame WR Paul Warfield address them:
2. Injury Update: It’s been awhile since we ran through a comprehensive injury update for the Browns, so let’s get to it.
Sitting out at the start of practice were WR Corey Coleman, WR Josh Gordon, WR Andrew Hawkins, WR Dennis Parks, TE Seth DeValve, CB Trey Caldwell. CB Joe Haden was in street clothes for Tuesday’s session as the team hopes to very slowly ease him back into tings. Something I didn’t have a chance to mention on Monday was the fact that FB Malcolm Johnson and TE Randall Telfer had both returned to practice.
3. Lots of Comeback Routes: These two video highlights of WR Taylor Gabriel and WR Rashard Higgins aren’t particularly interesting, but it reminded me of something I didn’t mention on Monday: during practice, in both one-on-one drills and other quarterback-receiver situations, the team really seemed to be practicing sideline comeback routes like these:
Hollywood with the grab on the sideline. pic.twitter.com/dLG3DJJyXJ— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 9, 2016
4. Cam Erving Back at Center: After several practice days off to rest an elbow injury, Cameron Erving returned to team drills as the first-team center. He is expected to play this Friday against the Packers if there are no setbacks. For the second straight day, OL Austin Pasztor was the first-team right tackle.
Unfortunately, it was a bit of a rough day for Erving when it came to snapping the football. Reports say that he had three high Shotgun snaps, including two that sailed over the head of QB Robert Griffin III. Maybe it’s just rust, though, combined with coming off the elbow injury.
5. Pryor Continues to Get it Done: According to Hayden Grove of The OBR, QB Robert Griffin III connected with WR Terrelle Pryor for a 50-yard go route, beating CB Eric Patterson. Grove noted that while there was a little bit of sloppiness during practice, “Pryor was catching everything on Tuesday.”
6. Mingo at Inside Linebacker: This offseason, we heard the Browns say that OLB Barkevious Mingo needed to be willing to move around wherever they need him on defense this year. On Tuesday, he took some snaps at inside linebacker.
7. Brownies: OL Shon Coleman had to leave practice early with cramps. ... Head coach Hue Jackson hopes to play all four quarterbacks on Friday. ... CB Jamar Taylor picked off a pass from QB Cody Kessler. ... WR Terrelle Pryor appears to have added “Sr” to the end of his name on his jersey. ... DE John Hughes missed his sixth straight practice due to personal reasons.