The following players were cut by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday, trimming their roster from 75 players to the league-required 53 players. Make sure you react to all of the cuts in the comments section below! The final 53-man roster is also at the bottom of this post.
(Key: Expected Cut, Highlighted/Notable Cut, Surprise/Big-Name Cut)
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- RB Jahwan Edwards
- WR Taylor Gabriel - Gabriel had a solid rookie season in 2014 as an undrafted free agent, but scuffled throughout the 2015 season. With Cleveland having drafted four receivers this year, it seemed like Gabriel would be the odd man out. However, he saw a lot of first-team work this preseason — enough to inch himself close to the bubble. Some thought he might make the team over WR Andrew Hawkins to be the slot man. While we don’t know yet if Hawkins made the team, one can only assume he did.
- WR Marlon Moore - Moore has been a special teams ace the past several years. With S Johnson Bademosi departing this offseason to the Detroit Lions, I thought Moore would be retained with special teams coordinator Chris Tabor on the staff.
- WR Darius Jennings - Jennings was a victim of the numbers game at receiver. The team didn't want to lose any of their rookies.
- TE Connor Hamlett - At the beginning of camp, Hamlett was catching touchdowns left and right and doing the Gronk spike, which made him a household name among Browns fans. He wasn't involved very much in the preseason, though, and as the weeks went on, it was evident the team preferred Randall Telfer as a blocking option.
- TE J.P. Holtz - The team decided to keep three tight ends.
- OT Dan France
- OG Kaleb Johnson
- C Garth Gerhart
- C Mike Matthews - The team basically did not play Matthews preseason, but he seems like a sure bet for the practice squad. Otherwise, there would have been no reason to keep him on the roster in the cutdown to 75 players.
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- DL Kenton Adeyemi
- DL Chigbo Anunoby
- ILB Justin Tuggle
- OLB Jason Neill
- CB Justin Gilbert - This wasn't a cut, but it was stunning to see the 8th overall pick of the 2014 draft traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- CB Charles Gaines - A sixth-round pick from last year, Gaines' roster odds increased after the whole K'Waun Williams fiasco. However, I speculated that the team might prefer new draft pick Trey Caldwell at nickelback, and after a poor showing in the final preseason game, Gaines couldn't crack the final 53.
- CB Eric Patterson
- CB Mikell Everette
- S Pierre Desir - Although his position change this offseason made it unlikely that he would make the team, it was still a little alarming to see the 2014 fourth-round pick on the cut list. He had a strong fourth preseason game, but it might have been too little, too late for him.
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS CUT
- P Kasey Redfern - Acquired from the Panthers in the Andy Lee deal, he was only here for a tryout really. He didn't pass the test, and the team just signed veteran Britton Colquitt.
- Note: the team did not list Michael Palardy as a cut, but he will be once the Colquitt signing goes through.
FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER (as of 9/3/16)
|Pos||Final Roster||Players Cut|
|Robert Griffin III
|Justin Gilbert (traded)
Injured Reserve: RB Glenn Winston, WR Rannell Hall, WR Dennis Parks, DL Dylan Wynn, DL Nile Lawrence-Stample
Non-Football Injury List: DE Desmond Bryant
Suspension List: WR Josh Gordon, OLB Armonty Bryant