Deshaun Watson? Mitch Trubisky? Myles Garrett? Trading down?
The Cleveland Browns control their own destiny with the No. 1 overall pick, but earlier today, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com polled five personnel executives to ask them what Cleveland should do with the pick. It was unanimous — all five said the team should select Garrett. The quotes from the executives included:
- “I don't think the Browns have a choice. ... It has to be Garrett. He has such rare physical tools. He's clearly the best player in the draft."
- "Garrett makes the most sense. The Browns are switching to a 4-3 defense and he fits perfectly. He's the best player available and he fits what they need."
- "There's no quarterback this year worthy of the first pick. Plus, next year's QB class is going to be much better than this group. So, if you reach for a quarterback this year, you miss out on a player like Garrett and you remove yourself from taking a much better QB next year? That doesn't make any sense. Just take Garrett at No. 1."
- "Don't overthink it. Garrett is an elite talent at the second most important position on the field."
- "I'd be shocked if they don't pick Garrett. I guess they could trade down, but they did that last year and missed out on (Carson) Wentz. I thought that was a big mistake."
Put a gun to my head and force me into a decision today, and I’d take Garrett too. Talk of a quarterback will make for some good debates, but ultimately, Cleveland could be going defense.