On Tuesday, the players named to the 2018 NFL Pro Bowl were unveiled. The Cleveland Browns were one of five teams who do not have any representatives.
The End of Another Streak
- Because his consecutive starts and snaps streak ending, LT Joe Thomas had another streak come to an end: consecutive Pro Bowls.
- Thomas had made ten straight Pro Bowls from 2007-2016 to begin his career, a franchise record. But he was unable to conquer the NFL record, which belongs to DT Merlin Olsen with fourteen.
- Due to Thomas’ injury and number of games played, he wasn’t eligible for the Pro Bowl:
#Browns LT Joe Thomas made the Pro Bowl in each of his first 10 seasons, but he wasn't eligible this year. Players must be on the active roster in Week 13 to be eligible. Thomas was placed on injured reserve after suffering a season-ending torn left triceps tendon in Week 7.— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) December 20, 2017
- MLB Joe Schobert is a first alternate for the AFC.
- OG Joel Bitonio is a second alternate for the AFC.
- It’s possible the Browns could still get someone into the Pro Bowl once Super Bowl teams and injuries are accounted for.
- In my personal assessment, other players who might have deserved Pro Bowl recognition were OG Kevin Zeitler and CB Jason McCourty.