Do you like writing about the Cleveland Browns? Are you interested in being a front page contributor? Then we may have an opportunity for you. We currently have two positions available -- each would receive a monthly stipend upon agreeing to write 5-7 posts per week.
Applicants should treat this as a committed hobby, with the potential to use the experience you gain on your resume in the future. We have already had two paid contributors who have used this experience as part of their resume and interview process, helping to lead to full-time communications/journalism jobs outside of DBN.
Type of Content Expected
- Listening to interviews from Browns players, coaches, and front office personnel from radio audio (i.e. 923thefan.com, espncleveland.com, browns.com). Write an article that highlights some of the interesting quotes that were expressed.
- Find Browns-related tweets, either from Browns players or about the team, and produce an article from it. This could be very broad — i.e. interesting stats, Joe Thomas saying something funny, photo highlights from a charity event, etc.
- General news about the Browns, the AFC North, and the NFL.
- There will be a requirement of 5-7 posts per week. Generally, all posts should be at least 150 words in length.
- You must have a knack for finding stories or topics to write about on your own. However, you would also received assignments from time-to-time via email, describing a brief article I’d like you to write in a timely manner.
- Hard-core analysis and opinion pieces are not requirements of this position. However, if you feel you can strike a balance to still produce the amount of content required per week, you are more than welcome to do so.
- Strong writing skills and the ability to edit your own work is required.
- The desire to learn Search Engine Optimization (SEO) when structuring your headlines is required (don't worry, it's very simple).
- Having a good grasp of presentation skills and technology in writing is preferred, but can be guided through training. Examples of this include knowing when to use paragraph breaks, bulleted lists, graphics, and embedding tweets or videos, all using SB Nations’ custom posting interface.
- You can consider this an entry-level position in sports media.
How to Apply
If you are interesting in joining our staff here at Dawgs By Nature, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a relevant subject line. Here is what you should include in your "application" —
- First and last name
- DBN username (if you do not have one, please create)
- Cover letter - this should be two paragraphs in length. Examples of what you could talk about include your writing experience (if any), why you would like to write for DBN, what type of posts you could see yourself writing, and that you understand the commitment this position entails.
- No formal resume is required. If you have writing samples (particularly in sports), please include a link to them or an attachment. This is not required, particularly if you have been a regular commenter at DBN over the years.
We will be accepting applications through the end of the day on Sunday, May 7, 2017, but could start considering applicants sooner than that, depending on the volume and type of candidates who apply.
We will also accept applications for non-paid contributors and will consider outstanding candidates who want to post sparingly as a member of the DBN staff. This may be of interest to individuals who would like to commit to one weekly column or freelance features. However, we may choose to not add any non-paid contributors at this time.
If there are any questions about the process, please feel free to leave a comment down below. This is our first call for writers in three years.