This week, Peter King unveiled a project that had been two years in the making - a draft of all players who have ever played in the NFL, AFL or All-America Football Conference. He enlisted twelve highly revered football minds to participate in the event and set the following parameters for team composition:
- 11 Offensive players
- 11 Defensive players
- 1 Kicker
- 1 Punter
- 1 Wild-card Player
- 1 Coach
Draft order was random, and drawn from a hat. The participating general managers are, as shown on the MMQB Website:
• Ernie Accorsi, former GM of the Colts, Browns and Giants.
• Gil Brandt, father of modern football scouting. Has worked in NFL for the past 58 years.
• Joel Bussert, for 40 years the NFL’s vice president of player personnel.
• Dan Fouts, Hall of Fame quarterback, current Pro Football Hall of Fame voter.
• Rick Gosselin, longtime pro football columnist, and king of the mock draft.
• Joe Horrigan, Pro Football Hall of Fame executive vice president and chief archivist.
• Peter King, 33-year pro football writer, editor-in-chief of The MMQB and Hall of Fame voter.
• Bob McGinn, who just finished a 38-year run covering the Green Bay Packers.
• Bill Polian, six-time Executive of the Year and a Pro Football Hall of Fame GM.
• John Turney, editor of Pro Football Journal and respected football historian.
• Ron Wolf, architect of three NFL playoff teams, and Pro Football Hall of Fame GM.
• John Wooten, 10-year NFL guard, 23-year NFL scout, head of The Fritz Pollard Alliance.
The draft had several interesting twists and turns, including P Ray Guy being selected at #4 overall by Dan Fouts. Several Cleveland Browns were selected, including two (QB Otto Graham & RB Jim Brown) in the first round.
A complete summary of Browns players selected:
Browns All-Time NFL Selections
|RB Jim Brown||6||Brandt|
|QB Otto Graham||10||Polian|
|RB Marion Motley||48||Accorsi|
|WR Paul Warfield||49||Bussert|
|DE Willie Davis||59||Wooten|
|DE Len Ford||60||Accorsi|
|LT Joe Thomas||69||King|
|DE Doug Atkins||114||Brandt|
|G Gene Hickerson||119||Wooten|
|G Joe DeLamielleure||165||King|
|T Mike McCormack||166||Polian|
|WR Mac Speedie||170||Wolf|
|T Lou Groza||176||Horrigan|
|TE Ozzie Newsome||179||Wooten|
|LB Bill Willis||239||Wooten|
|K/P Don Cockroft||251||Wooten|
|WR John Jefferson||256||Fouts|
|DE Rich "Tombstone" Jackson||257||Wolf|
|K Matt Stover||277||Bussert|
|P Andy Lee||285||King|
|P Horace Gillom||289||Bussert|
|WR Bobby Mitchell||298||Polian|
|Coach: Bill Belicheck||308||Turney|
|Coach: Paul Brown||310||Gosselin|
Joe Thomas was the third active player selected. Overall, the 24 players or coaches who were at one point Browns were drafted.
Which Browns player was snubbed, and should have made the list?
This poll is closed
None - these players just don’t quite make the cut.