Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 2 (7/28/17)
1. Managing Minutes: Last year, we saw Browns LT Joe Thomas and former CB Tramon Williams often get “veteran” days off. Cleveland will continue that practice this year, as it was reported that the following players were getting the day off: LG Joel Bitonio, LT Joe Thomas, OG John Greco, WR Kenny Britt, DE Desmond Bryant, CB Joe Haden, and CB Jason McCourty. I guess that face-off between Thomas and DE Myles Garrett will have to wait yet another day.
#Browns plan to manage players practice time during camp so b/c players aren't practicing doesn't mean they're injured. s remain empty— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 28, 2017
2. Njoku Battles the Drops: Some late information from Day 1 of practice: DBN user thelonius7, who was in attendance, noted that rookie TE David Njoku “had the dropsies.” On Day 2, hanging on to the football became a bigger story for Njoku, as he was stripped twice after catching passes: including once by CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun after a pass by QB DeShone Kizer.
Kizer to Njoku, who gets stripped. #Browns pic.twitter.com/p5onUuJuxF— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) July 28, 2017
The other strip came from CB Marcus Burley. Probably embarrassed by his day of work, Njoku got some after-practice work in on the JUGGS machine, and head coach Hue Jackson said they will get the issue sorted out. But maybe the tight ends in general were just getting some extra work in, as TE Randall Telfer followed suit.
3. Wind Plays a Factor: For once, rain or heat weren’t an issue in Berea...but the wind was. Winds were projected to be around 30 MPH, and anyone walking around Cleveland Friday afternoon knows that was the case. Here is how Steve Doerschuk of the Canton Repository thought some of the quarterbacks responded:
Hidden bonus in practice today. Big wind. Chance to evaluate QB arms. Osweiler adjusted. Kizer's ball cut right through it from start.— Steve Doerschuk (@sdoerschukREP) July 28, 2017
After practice, Jackson said that, unrelated to winds, Friday was not designed to be a “throw the ball down the field” day. The OBR’s X’s and O’s guy was in Berea and noticed it during practice.
Have this in my practice notes. Lots of quick game i.e. double slants, slant/flat, 5-yard stick routes and the intermediate game. https://t.co/wmAhp1Wo1Y— All22ChalkTalk (@All22ChalkTalk) July 28, 2017
4. Feed Me Garrett: Fans are going to attend Berea this year solely to get a glimpse at DE Myles Garrett (No. 95). The video clip below from Tom Withers of the Associated Press highlights a couple of his pass rushes. Also interesting is the format of the drill (which you also saw yesterday) to cater to fans. It takes place right in front of the main bleachers, and has line markings on the ground to help guide players where to line up.
Garrett in pass-rush drills. #Browns pic.twitter.com/AZ2U2zH9P3— Tom Withers (@twithersAP) July 28, 2017
5. Equal Representation: We’ll try to give all of the quarterbacks their due throughout camp, when deserved. Here is a good connection between QB Brock Osweiler and WR Jordan Payton, although it was only a 1-on-1 drill.
Brock >>> Payton #Browns pic.twitter.com/X8p1yj9VrN— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 28, 2017
With the good comes the bad. According to Nate Ulrich of the Akron Beacon Journal, Osweiler had a passed tipped by DL Trevon Coley, which was then picked off by MLB Dominique Alexander, representing the first interception of camp.
Regarding some other quarterback highlights, QB Cody Kessler hit WR James Wright in stride, and QB DeShone Kizer found WR Rannell Hall down the field.
Day 2 #Browns QB tracker unofficial numbers: Kessler 5/8, Osweiler 5/8 with an INT, Kizer 4/6, Hogan 4/6. All numbers in 11 on 11 periods.— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) July 28, 2017
6. Fight! The first fight of training camp happened between OT Shon Coleman and DL Karter Schult. Although it was broken up quickly (see below), word is that a punch was thrown.
That was followed by a fight between Shon Coleman and Karter Schult #3Browns pic.twitter.com/40e0F0OsQK— Ben Axelrod (@BenAxelrod) July 28, 2017
7. Analytical Media Coverage: The OBR had their X’s and O’s guy in Berea today, and he promised to offer a different perspective than your typical local media coverage. I think he’ll have his own report up later on, but for now, here’s a taste of him going over the purpose of a certain drill with TE Jabrill Peppers:
Peppers working on blitz peel. If TE blocks, will rip arm inside. If TE release, take him in man. Coaches mixing up the TE'a block/release pic.twitter.com/aQmrjtRNJX— Orange and Brown Rpt (@TheOBR) July 28, 2017
8. Brownies: Hall of Fame RB Jim Brown took in practice. ... S Derrick Kindred missed practice after suffering cramps on Thursday. ... WR Mario Alford will need to show he can contribute as a backup receiver if he wants to make the team, and this is a good start. ... Despite sitting out of drills, WR Kenny Britt still got some work in on the team drills. ... Ben Axelrod of WKYC said that DE Myles Garrett lined up inside on some plays. ... After practice, QB DeShone Kizer ran several 100-yard sprints, and Garrett did the same.
9. Next Up: Practice continues Saturday in Berea, from 3:00 PM to 5:30 PM. It will be the team’s first padded practice, and Jackson said they will be tackling as well.
Pads, s, tackling. Saturday's practice should be fun #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/vIsHsswy07— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) July 28, 2017
Grind now, shine later.#BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/OSMoBWDbe1— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) July 28, 2017
- What did Hue Jackson say after practice? Plus, some player interviews before practice.
- More highlights.