Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 12 (8/12/17)
1. The Final Stretch: Saturday was the first time the Browns were practicing in Berea since this past Tuesday, and with this being the 12th training camp session in the books, there are only four remaining sessions open to the public. Here is a shot of the team stretching just as practice got underway:
2. Penalty Punishments: The Browns clearly had too many penalties this past Thursday against the Saints, so in the team’s first practice back, Hue Jackson tried to send a message about being disciplined. Per Browns.com, when DE Myles Garrett jumped offsides in 11-on-11s, Jackson took him out. When Joel Bitonio committed a false start later, Jackson made him run a lap.
“We can’t do that,” said Jackson following practice. “We can’t hurt our team. It is something we talked about as a staff and as a football team, and we are going to do that better.”
Ever the jokester, LT Joe Thomas rubbed it in when Garrett’s offense took place:
3. Njoku & Brantley Return: The Browns got some good news on the injury front: TE David Njoku (back) returned to practice, and DL Caleb Brantley (finger) is back for the first time since having surgery two weeks ago. However, Brantley might have been limited, as the Browns’ post-practice press release listed him among the players who did not practice.
4. Depth Chart News: Among the players with “managed” days off were OLB Jamie Collins and MLB Tank Carder. That allowed linebackers Joe Schobert and James Burgess to see some action with the first-team defense. In addition, with SS Ibraheim Campbell out with a concussion, S Justin Currie took his place with the first-team defense.
5. It’s Hollywood Higgins: We didn’t hear much from WR Rashard Higgins during the preseason game, but he put a move on CB Najee Murray during 1-on-1 drills that left the rookie defensive back in cement. Even if Murray is having an OK camp, you definitely do not want this forever on your social media resume now.
6. QB Situation Pissed Hue Jackson Off: Make no mistake about it -- head coach Hue Jackson was pissed off at and after today’s practice. In fact, his post-practice presser only lasted about 75 seconds after he warned reporters, “Are you guys in a good mood? Because I am not (laughter).”
The reason? Interceptions. But it started with being asked about the quarterback rotation again, where he said “we’re back to training camp mode ... and it’s too early to name a quarterback, we’ll see how that goes.” He said the interceptions in practice made him “pissed off,” and then he told reporters to move on to the next question.
7. Turnover City: This was not the ideal practice for the quarterbacks. The rotation pretty much remained the same that it’s been during camp, in the sense that the starter (Brock Osweiler) practiced with the ones, then Cody Kessler was with the twos as the backup, and then DeShone Kizer also got work with the ones despite being the third guy in.
The interceptions started when Osweiler was intercepted by FS Derrick Kindred on the third play of team drills, per Mary Kay Cabot of the Plain Dealer. Later on, a bad throw by Osweiler still got to WR Rashard Higgins, who then made a blunder of his own:
Brock with a duck but still a long completion to Higgins, who was way behind the defense then got stripped by Boddy-Calhoun. It's not pretty— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 12, 2017
The interceptions only continued after that, with Kizer getting picked by S J.D. Harmon and then Osweiler getting picked again by CB Darius Hillary. But if you want to feel good about somebody, here is a nice compilation of throws that Kizer made in 1-on-1 drills earlier in practice:
8. Garrett Still Delivers: Despite the penalty earlier, DE Myles Garrett was still busy punishing backup linemen, per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram:
“Garrett sacked Kevin Hogan, dipping his shoulder low to the ground to get past rookie Rod Johnson, and took down Cody Kessler after lining up wide and beating Cameron Erving to the edge. Garrett didn’t have the same success going against 10-time Pro Bowl left tackle Joe Thomas.”
He didn’t fare as well in the couple of times he went up against LT Joe Thomas, though.
9. Brownies: WR Kenny Britt was praised for making a 1-handed catch during practice. ... WR Corey Coleman caught quite a few passes from QB Brock Osweiler. ... The Browns released DL Jamal Marcus from injures reserve. ... A total of 88 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year. ... During today’s training camp session, representatives from the Hue Jackson Foundation shared information with fans on the group’s efforts to combat human trafficking in Northeast Ohio.
Back at it today in Berea. Here are your unofficial #Browns QB numbers: Kessler 6/9, Osweiler 8/14 2 INTs, Kizer 4/7 1 INT, Hogan 6/8.— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) August 12, 2017
Here are your unofficial #Browns QB numbers through camp: Kessler 73/110 66%, Osweiler 101/168 60%, Kizer 65/116 56%, Hogan 29/48 60%.— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) August 12, 2017
10. Next Up: The Browns' next practice is Sunday from 3:25 PM to 5:55 PM. Cornerbacks coach DeWayne Walker and quarterbacks coach David Lee will talk to the media around noon.