Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 14 (8/14/17)
1. Camp Continues Behind Closed Doors: For the first time since the start of training camp, practice was closed to the general public. However, practice still went on as normal, and there were some special guests in attendance: club seat members who were treated to their own Q&A session with Executive VP of Football Operations Sashi Brown.
Browns EVP of FB Ops Sashi Brown w/@NathanZegura answering questions directly from season ticket members at camp. pic.twitter.com/cJxOOV7ylX— Peter John-Baptiste (@BrownsPJB) August 14, 2017
2. Managed Days Off: Among the players sitting out of practice with managed days off were RB Isaiah Crowell, WR Corey Coleman, TE Randall Telfer, and OL Matt McCants. DE Cam Johnson continues to miss time coming off an injury, but it being lumped in the same group.
3. Good Start for Kizer: Coaches have stressed consistency when it comes to the quarterbacks in camp. On Sunday, QB DeShone Kizer didn’t quite have it. He got off to a good start during 11-on-11 drills on Monday, though, completing three consecutive passes (which should kind of me an expectation vs. an accomplishment).
DeShone Kizer hit tight end Seth DeValve, Randell Hall and David Njoku on consecutive passes. He is much sharper today than yesterday.— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) August 14, 2017
4. Peppers Brings It: Many members of the media called Day 14 the coming out party for S Jabrill Peppers, who got some time with the first-team defense. He made his presence known, laying a big hit on WR Rannell Hall (who, to his credit, held on to the 18-yard pass):
Jabrill Peppers delivered the hit of camp, blowing up WR Rannell Hall in sideline after 18-yard catch for 1st down. Hall hung onto the ball— Daryl Ruiter (@RuiterWrongFAN) August 14, 2017
(UPDATE: Below is video of the hit, from the Browns)
here's footage of Jabrill Peppers' huge hit on Rannell Hall at practice today, via the Browns pic.twitter.com/Ckf9a0kC9C— Jordan Zirm (@clevezirm) August 15, 2017
Zac Jackson of The Athletic said that he wasn’t sure he’s ever seen a hit like that in camp (and believe me, he’s been to plenty of them). But that wasn’t all. Toward the end of practice, the Browns were running the two-minute drill, and Peppers came through on three consecutive plays:
- He stripped WR Josh Boyce of a would-be completion;
- Broke up another pass;
- And finished things off by intercepting QB Brock Osweiler, along with a good return.
Today is the day Peppers became the starter for good.— Zac Jackson (@AkronJackson) August 14, 2017
5. Defense With the Edge in Physical Practice: The Browns worked on short-yardage and goal-line team drills for a stretch of practice, and multiple reporters referred to it as a physical practice that saw the defense “dominate.” However, one of the bright spots for the offense was with rookie TE David Njoku, working with QB Brock Osweiler.
TE David Njoku made great catch between 2 defenders in short yardage and 2-yard TD grab in goal line. Both passed from Brock Osweiler.— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 14, 2017
Here’s a look at that touchdown pass to Njoku:
.@bosweiler17 ➡️ @David_Njoku80 for 6️⃣!#BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/mEeTxpPAug— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 14, 2017
6. Good End for Kizer: Just as he started out practice well, QB DeShone Kizer finished it well too. During a 4th-and-15 of a two-minute drill, LB James Burgess was praised by reporters for his tight coverage, but that didn’t stop Kizer from connecting with TE Seth DeValve for a 57-yard touchdown.
#Browns DeShone Kizer drops perfect throw to Seth DeValve on fourth-and-15 in 2:00. DeValve carries LB James Burgess final 5 for 57-yard TD— Scott Petrak ct (@ScottPetrak) August 14, 2017
7. Brownies: CB Marcus Burley (face laceration) returned to individual drills. ... WR Rasheed Bailey, TE Seth DeValve, TE David Njoku each had false starts and had to run laps. ... During a drill, WR Rannell Hall hit receivers coach Al Saunders in the face, drawing blood, per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram. ... Only 1 puppy was adopted today. ... As a punishment for the last play, the defense had to do up-downs after practice. ... The ice tubs returned, this time with 50% more ice it seems:
The ice tubs are BACK! ❄️ #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/wS9VRV6SCE— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 14, 2017
What can make me feel this way? Ice tubbbssss, ice tubsss, ICE TUBBSSS #BrownsCamp pic.twitter.com/SNELCICEx0— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 14, 2017
8. Next Up: The Browns are back on the practice field Tuesday from 3:25 PM to 5:55 PM, as camp re-opens to the general public. I will be in attendance, and I was glad to see the team practicing on the field without the big bleachers Monday, because that means they should be practicing on a field with the bigger bleachers on Tuesday. The downside is that Hue Jackson just put the club through two physical practices, so I wouldn’t be surprised if things are taken a bit more lightly on Tuesday.