Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 17 (8/17/17)
1. Lightning Threat Ends Practice Early: Thursday was the final day of training camp open to the public, and unfortunately, it was the first time practice ended this year. Rain ended up coming later, but it was originally lighting sirens that sent the team indoors a little after 4:00 PM (practice started at 3:00 PM). Leave it to LT Joe Thomas to bring humor into the whole matter:
Browns practice moved inside due to lightning. Joe Thomas takes off sprinting toward facility screaming "save yourselves! Save yourselves!"— Ben Axelrod (@BenAxelrod) August 17, 2017
Rather than continuing practice, head coach Hue Jackson just huddled the team up inside and called it a day (as far as practice went).
2. Free Pizza! One of my favorite promotions in the past at Berea is when someone does free pizza slices for fans. On Thursday, the first 500 fans were treated to a free slice of pizza from Antonio’s Pizza.
3. Goodell in Cleveland: Sorry, there wasn’t much training camp news, per se, regarding what happened on the field Thursday. Prior to practice opening, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell, the Haslams, and Sashi Brown met with a select group of season ticket holders. We’ve got one story up on the team’s NFL Draft bid, and another one coming later with the latest on WR Josh Gordon. But Goodell couldn’t stay for too long, as he bid adieu to those in attendance around 1:30 PM, an hour and a half before training camp opened:
4. Your Lone Football Tweet: I went through all of the local media’s tweets, and I was only able to find one tweet about practice itself, coming via Jeff Schudel of The News-Herald. If I had to guess, I’d say that most of the media were busy writing their stories about Goodell’s trip, and practice hadn’t really had a chance to get started beyond stretching and positional drills before the rain/lighting hit.
Osweiler hits Kenny Britt on a slant and the Duke Johnson on a shovel pass— Jeff Schudel (@jsproinsider) August 17, 2017
5. Brownies: DL Danny Shelton (knee) was injured during Wednesday’s practice and will miss the second preseason game, being listed as week-to-week. ... Including today’s final session, the 2017 Browns training camp featured 15 free practices, the most open to the public since 2010. ... A total of 103 puppies were adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year. ... The players have an off day Friday, but will practice privately on Saturday and Sunday.
6. Next Up: There are no more training camp practices open to the public, and the media will have limited availability. The team’s next game is Monday against the New York Giants. Thank you for following all of our training camp recaps for another year here at DBN!