Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 9 (8/5/17)
1. Early Session: It was still an afternoon session, but Saturday’s practice session began at 2:30 PM, which is the earliest start time scheduled for all of training camp. Overall, these players are pretty fortunate with how graceful the temperatures have been throughout camp, and Saturday was even more pleasant -- around 73 degrees.
2. Scrimmage Continues: Saturday’s practice ended up being like another scrimmage, but unlike Friday’s, there were no pads or tackling permitted. Details from reporters were very scarce, though, but I’ll comb through what’s out there for everybody.
3. The Throw That Sealed Kessler’s Fate? Things were already looking down for QB Cody Kessler after Friday’s scrimmage, but the one thing he’s been able to hang his hat on is his lack of turnovers. Saturday was his final chance to prove he deserves to hang on to the QB job when Hue Jackson re-evaluates the position on Sunday, and he fell short.
On Kessler's first series, he ran five plays and only managed one first down. On his second series, the Browns were moving after a 23-yard hookup with WR Jordan Leslie. Per 92.3 the Fan’s Daryl Ruiter, Kessler was 3-of-4 on the drive before this happened:
That’s an ~80-yard interception return by OLB Jamie Collins, and you can see how much glee DE Myles Garrett has in the background. A picture-perfect moment for the defense, but one that perhaps loosened the final grip that Kessler had on the No. 1 spot.
4. Osweiler Produces Again: Working with the second-team offense again, QB Brock Osweiler performed well for the second straight day. His first drive went about 55-60 yards before ending, but he moved the ball. He continued the positive momentum on the next drive, going 5-of-5 with a 40-yard completion to WR Rannell Hall. CB Trey Caldwell was in coverage, per Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram. The drive was capped off with a 7-yard touchdown run by RB Brandon Wilds.
5. Kizer Finds the Open Man: Even QB DeShone Kizer got on the board with a 34-yard touchdown pass to WR Jordan Payton. Scott Petrak of the Chronicle-Telegram says that the cornerback fell down, but Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com hints that there may have been some foul play by Payton that he got away with:
Jordan Payton ran right through a DB to catch a touchdown pass for Kizer. Gregg Williams was ... let's just say unhappy.— Dan Labbe (@dan_labbe) August 5, 2017
6. Brownies: Earlier, we mentioned a 23-yard catch made by WR Jordan Leslie -- he took a hit on the play and left immediately with a possible concussion. ... The team waived WR James Wright and DL Jamal Marcus after practice with injury designations. ... CB Justin Currie closed in to break up a pass for TE Taylor McNamara. ... OLB Jamie Collins also went sky high to knock away a floating screen pass. ... After practice, 250 people from the Adapted Football League – coaches, volunteers and players – and Lakewood High School’s Sparkle Effect all-inclusive cheerleading team had the opportunity to compete on the Browns’ practice fields. ... 7 more puppies were adopted at the Browns’ Puppy Pound, bringing the season total to 67.
Here are your Day 9 unofficial #Browns QB numbers from training camp: Kessler 6/9 INT (pick 6), Osweiler 7/11, Kizer 3/5 TD, Hogan 1/3.— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) August 5, 2017
Through 9 days here are your unofficial #Browns QB numbers: Kessler 52/81 64%, Osweiler 57/101 56%, Kizer 44/85 52%, Hogan 19/30 63%.— Jason Gibbs (@BGSUGibbs) August 5, 2017
7. Next Up: The Browns are off on Sunday. They will practice from 3:25 PM to 5:55 PM on Monday and Tuesday, be off Wednesday, and then play their first preseason game against the Saints on Thursday.