After the Cleveland Browns broke the big news about their quarterback situation Monday morning, they released their first unofficial depth chart of the season in the afternoon before practice.
It’s always important to stress the word unofficial for these preseason depth charts, because typically, they are put together by staff members in the organization and now the head coach. Head coach Hue Jackson will place his stamp on the depth chart after the preseason is over. Nonetheless, it’s still fun to look at where players fall:
|Cleveland Browns Depth Chart|
|QB||Brock Osweiler||Cody Kessler||DeShone Kizer||Kevin Hogan|
|RB||Isaiah Crowell||Duke Johnson||Matthew Dayes||Terrence Magee||Brandon Wilds|
|WR1||Corey Coleman||Rashard Higgins||Josh Boyce||Rannell Hall||Richard Mullaney|
|WR2||Kenny Britt||Ricardo Louis||Jordan Leslie||Jordan Payton||Mario Alford||Rasheed Bailey|
|TE||Randall Telfer||Seth DeValve||David Njoku||J.P. Holtz||Taylor McNamara||Nate Iese|
|LT||Joe Thomas||Rod Johnson|
|LG||Joel Bitonio||Marcus Martin||Spencer Drango|
|C||J.C. Tretter||Austin Reiter||Anthony Fabiano||(Gabe Ikard)|
|RG||Kevin Zeitler||John Greco||Kitt O'Brien|
|RT||Shon Coleman||Cameron Erving||Zach Sterup||Matt McCants|
|RDE||Myles Garrett||Cam Johnson||Tyrone Holmes||Karter Schult|
|DT||Desmond Bryant||Trevon Coley||Xavier Cooper||(Caleb Brantley)|
|DT||Danny Shelton||Jamie Meder||Larry Ogunjobi|
|LDE||Emmanuel Ogbah||Carl Nassib||Nate Orchard|
|WILL||Christian Kirksey||Dominique Alexander||B.J. Bello|
|MIKE||Tank Carder||Joe Schobert||Kenneth Olugbode|
|SAM||Jamie Collins||James Burgess||Deon King||Ladell Fleming|
|CB||Joe Haden||Briean Boddy-Calhoun||Darius Hillary||Channing Stribling||Najee Murray|
|CB||Jamar Taylor||Jason McCourty||Marcus Burley||Trey Caldwell||Alvin Hill||(Howard Wilson)|
|S||Ibraheim Campbell||Justin Currie||Calvin Pryor||(Ed Reynolds)|
|S||Derrick Kindred||Jabrill Peppers||Kai Nacua||J.D. Harmon|
|K||Cody Parkey||Zane Gonzalez|
|KR||Jabrill Peppers||Mario Alford||Trey Caldwell|
|PR||Jabrill Peppers||Mario Alford||Rannell Hall|
Notes About the Depth Chart
Players in (parenthesis) mean they are injured, thus their ranking on the depth chart should not be taken literally.
- Blocking tight end Randall Telfer is listed at the top of the depth chart, while rookie David Njoku is third. We know those spots will probably flip before long, but it could also be an indication of Njoku’s catching issues, when you consider that fellow first-round pick Myles Garrett is listed with the first-team defense.
- On the offensive line, Marcus Martin is listed ahead of Spencer Drango as a backup left guard. Shon Coleman stays ahead of Cam Erving in the starting right tackle spot.
- Dominique Alexander and James Burgress are listed as the backup WILL and SAM.
- At safety, Calvin Pryor is buried on the depth chart, even behind Justin Currie. Did I call that one or what?
- Jabrill Peppers is listed as the top kick and punt returner, and Cody Parkey is first at kicker.
- We'll get a better grasp of where players truly fall on the depth chart during Thursday's preseason game against the Saints.
What are your thoughts on the depth chart, Browns fans?