Cleveland Browns Training Camp Report - Day 11 (8/8/17)
1. Light Practice and Managed Days Off: Overall, it was a light final practice before the team’s first preseason game this Thursday. The players receiving managed days off were WR Kenny Britt, TE David Njoku, LT Joe Thomas, LG Joel Bitonio, OG John Greco, C Austin Reiter, DT Desmond Bryant, CB Joe Haden, and CB Jason McCourty.
2. Boddy-Calhoun Not Backing Down: At a crowded cornerback position, you might think that between Joe Haden, Jamar Taylor, Jason McCourty, and Briean Boddy-Calhoun, someone would fade away in terms of usage, but that hasn’t been the case, especially when it comes to Boddy-Calhoun. He’s had some positive remarks made by reporters that we haven’t covered in our recaps, and today, he picked off QB DeShone Kizer during 11-on-11 drills.
Boddy-Calhoun picks #Kizer #Browns #DawgPound pic.twitter.com/98PreJEpMv— Scott Dryden (@BrownsScout) August 8, 2017
Speaking of other defensive backs, FS Kai Nacua is living up to his reputation of making plays on the football. Here he is batting a ball away from QB DeShone Kizer at the front corner of the end zone.
#43 Nacua with the pass defense pic.twitter.com/roRijFhWgM— SurvivingTheSeason (@StSPodcasts) August 8, 2017
3. Depth Chart Notes: With this being the final practice before the first preseason game, the group that each player is with might be indicative of what we’ll see on Thursday. The good folks at The Browns Wire made note of the following depth chart notes:
- DT Trevon Coley, who has been praised this camp by head coach Hue Jackson, was with the first-team defensive line, taking the spot of DT Desmond Bryant, who had a managed day off. It’s notable that Coley got a look over someone like DT Jamie Meder.
- In the secondary, Derrick Kindred and Ibraheim Campbell continued to play with the first-team defense, while Calvin Pryor was stuck with the third-teamers.
- We haven’t heard anything about DE Nate Orchard, the team’s second overall pick, all camp. This is the second straight day that The Browns Wire has paid attention to him and not been satisfied with what they’re seeing:
Nate Orchard running with the 3s and cannot get wins vs. Zach Sterup. Zero bend or creativity inline, needs space to create— The Browns Wire (@TheBrownsWire) August 8, 2017
4. Osweiler Heads Into Preseason Game Strong: For the second day in a row, QB Brock Osweiler closed out practice with some big plays he was involved in, although the one to WR Ricardo Louis makes it sound like the second-year receiver deserves the bulk of the kudos:
#Browns WR Ricardo Louis made an amazing diving catch on deep ball from Brock Osweiler. Definitely a contender for best play of camp.— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 8, 2017
A short while later, Ben Axelrod of WKYC noted that TE Randall Telfer, listed No. 1 on the depth chart, caught a 25-yard touchdown pass from Osweiler over the middle. Here’s a clip of Telfer’s nice snag:
I couldn't tell who caught this TD from Osweiler pic.twitter.com/NE7j7iPJs9— SurvivingTheSeason (@StSPodcasts) August 8, 2017
5. Thriving at the Goal Line Too: As if the previous bullet point wasn’t enough, Osweiler’s momentum continued strong into the goal line drills, again featuring a much-praised catch from WR Ricardo Louis:
Ricardo Louis having quite a day. Just made one-handed grab on fade into back right corner of end zone w/ Stribling covering. Brock threw it— Nate Ulrich (@NateUlrichABJ) August 8, 2017
Osweiler also hit TE Seth DeValve for a goal line touchdown, and then took it himself on one play for a score. It’s remarkable — everyone gets a touchdown now that Osweiler is under center!
6. OK, Let’s Be Fair: There was one video clip that showed CB Darius Hillary jumping a sideline route to pick off QB Brock Osweiler on a pass intended for WR Corey Coleman. However, there was pressure on him, and this probably would’ve been a sack on gameday.
Brock most likely gets sacked here but is picked by Darius Hillary pic.twitter.com/o2hf4oqM8R— SurvivingTheSeason (@StSPodcasts) August 8, 2017
Here is another clip where Osweiler has the strong arm to get a comeback route right on WR Rashard Higgins. Here is some of his risky confidence, throwing into double coverage. I think fans will have different opinions as to whether or not that’s a good decision vs. being overly conservative like QB Cody Kessler.
7. That’s a New One: I can’t say I’ve seen this drill at the training camps I’ve been to before: a few obstacles (serving as bodies) are thrown on the ground, and the defender’s job is to spot the ball, dive in, and recover it as cleanly as possible.
Fumble drill pic.twitter.com/qhxRAg3c8m— The Browns Wire (@TheBrownsWire) August 8, 2017
8. That’s a New One, Part II: Poor Cam Erving. First, here’s a clip (and then a second one) of him filling in at left tackle for Joe Thomas and having to go up against DE Myles Garrett. Before you click the link, guess how that one goes? But the more amusing one is that the Browns run a wide receiver screen pass to WR Corey Coleman, and Erving ends up falling down and tackling Coleman on the play.
Cam Erving gets the tackle on Corey Coleman pic.twitter.com/cbCc3CEXxo— SurvivingTheSeason (@StSPodcasts) August 8, 2017
9. Brownies: CB Marcus Burley remains out with a laceration on his face. ... DL Caleb Brantley isn’t expected to play this Thursday as he still recovers from finger surgery. ... During practice, TE Randall Telfer came up limping on his left ankle/foot and got it taped before returning. ... Dan Labbe of Cleveland.com noted that rookie DT Larry Ogunjobi penetrated into the backfield a few times. ... A total of 82 puppies have been adopted at the Browns Puppy Pound at training camp this year. ... The Browns hosted 150 military members and their families at practice, and players signed autographs for them afterward.
#Browns players signing autographs for military guests and their families after practice pic.twitter.com/df8HM0iePf— 92.3 The Fan (@923TheFan) August 8, 2017
10. Next Up: The Browns are off Wednesday, and then play their first preseason game against the Saints on Thursday.
At @Browns camp today! Great to see @joethomas73, so proud of who he is as a player and person. #CantonBound pic.twitter.com/WP13pNvkhn— Phil Savage (@SeniorBowlPhil) August 8, 2017
Day 11 of #BrownsCamp: ☑️#SaluteToService pic.twitter.com/3FVij2SQcs— Cleveland Browns (@Browns) August 9, 2017