SUNDAY UPDATE: Due to 5 waiver claims, there is a new 53-man roster on Sunday. Click here for those updates; original story from Saturday is below.
The following players were cut by the Cleveland Browns on Saturday, trimming their roster from 65 players to the league-required 53 players. Make sure you react to all of the cuts in the comments section below! The final 53-man roster is also at the bottom of this post.
Note: Here is a list the 18 players who were cut by the Browns on Friday. We include Osweiler, Greco, Cooper, and Parkey in Saturday’s list, because that is when the team officially announced those cuts.
OFFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- QB Brock Osweiler - The team will carry the full amount of the $16 million owed to Osweiler, and you can read about his departure here. This also means Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan made the team as the backups to DeShone Kizer.
- RB Terrence Magee
- WR Jordan Leslie - I think he could end up on the practice squad. After trading for WR Sammie Coates, though, keeping Leslie on the 53-man roster became less of a priority.
- WR Jordan Payton
- WR Rannell Hall
- TE J.P. Holtz
- OL John Greco - After Joe Haden was cut, Greco was the second-longest tenured player on the team, only behind Joe Thomas. It’s surprising to see his depth let go on a low contract, but it’s a consistent direction this team is going when it comes to veterans who are past the peak of their career.
- OL Anthony Fabiano
DEFENSIVE PLAYERS CUT
- DL Xavier Cooper - A third-round pick in 2015, Cooper never quite reached his pass-rushing potential and was receiving second- to third-string reps all preseason.
- MLB Kenneth Olugbode
- OLB Deon King
- CB Najee Murray
SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYERS CUT
- K Cody Parkey - I thought the team would try to trade Parkey, and I’m assuming they did try, to no success. Parkey didn’t really “lose” the competition so much as the team just had to make a decision and preferred to go with the younger option in Zane Gonzalez.
FINAL 53-MAN ROSTER (as of 9/2/16)
|Pos||Final Roster||Friday & Saturday Cuts|
The following players do not count toward the 53-man roster:
- Injured Reserve: RB Darius Jackson, OL Matt McCants, OL Chris Barker, MLB Tank Carder, FS Ed Reynolds
- Physically Unable to Perform: CB Howard Wilson
- Suspension List: WR Josh Gordon