- Browns tried to recruit Tyrann Mathieu in free agency (Houston Chronicle) - Ultimately, Gregg Williams was unable to convince former Arizona Cardinals All-Pro safety Tyrann Mathieu to join the Cleveland Browns. The Browns’ interim head coach tried to recruit Mathieu during free agency, but Mathieu had other ideas. He wound up joining the Texans on a one-year, $7 million contract and has made a big impact throughout the season.
- Ian Eagle reveals Hue Jackson’s clueless answer on Mayfield (Browns Wire) - In case you needed more validation for why Hue Jackson needed to go as Cleveland’s head coach, an exchange on “The Rich Eisen Show”illustrates just how clueless Jackson was as the man in charge.
- Gregg Williams happy to have Myles Garrett (cleveland.com) - Browns interim coach Gregg Williams pushed hard for Myles Garrett at No. 1 before the 2017 draft, and would do the same thing all over again despite the success of three quarterbacks the Browns passed on. One of those QBs, DeShaun Watson, leads the Texans against the Browns Sunday in Houston.
- Austin Corbett only player ruled out for Sunday (clevelandbrowns.com) - Earlier in the week, Gregg Williams joked the Browns were so short-handed at center that offensive line coach Bob Wylie had to take some reps at the position. That shouldn’t be necessary Sunday against the Texans, but the Browns could be down a little in the depth department.
- How Deshaun Watson and the Texans finally got rolling (Deadspin) - The Texans have rattled off eight wins in a row, which is extraordinary in and of itself. That they’ve done it after starting the season 0-3, with quarterback Deshaun Watson coming off ACL surgery in just his second season as a pro, is all the more impressive. They’re also doing it with Watson playing behind one of the league’s worst offensive lines. And yet: A team that looked like it was headed for the shitter now finds itself two games up in the AFC South and in position for the No. 3 seed in the playoffs.
- Chiefs’ Kareem Hunt shoved, kicked woman outside apartment, according to TMZ video (Kansas City Star) - Video footage published Friday shows Chiefs running back Kareem Hunt shoving and kicking a woman in a hallway.
- Patriots can’t afford to take Vikings lightly (Boston Herald) - Fans of successful teams look at a schedule and circle possible losses. Backers of losers circle the possible victories. It’s that way for every fan base in every sport, which brings me to a puzzling question: Why isn’t anybody circling the Vikings on the Patriots’ schedule?
- Chargers, Steelers find different ways to look the same (ESPN) - Rarely do matchups align like this. The Pittsburgh Steelers and Los Angeles Chargers have a combined 15 wins, look poised for playoff pushes and are getting it done with only the slightest differences.